Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Other] Time to feature Dolby Atmos

I can do that very briefly. Don't let Tidal overtake you. Tidal now supports Dolby Atmos. I am a musician and work as a sound engineer. Atmos and similar formats are now gaining more and more interest. That is why Tidal now has a corresponding offer. I can only recommend Spotify to do so, otherwise you will lose users to the competition.

Updated on 2021-06-14

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
kathrinajames

3 years later…. any updates ? 

jayallenvideo
Forget Atmos, Spotify is more concerned with podcasts.
Bojeebees

I  have considered switching to Tidal because of their support for ATMOS. I would appreciate not having to switch as I prefer the Spotify platform.

michanbg

overall i can only agree, Spotify has the better app and the better playlist algorithms. but Tidal and Apple Music simply have the better quality

Spotify focuses too much on podcasts, probably to save costs. but doesn't even manage to turn the app into a good podcatcher. no custom feeds, no chapter markers, no pictures.

so that means not the best music experience and only a below average podcast experience. at least for those who don't just use what everyone else uses or listen to their music through the device speakers on the subway and annoy everyone else.

Glasto-Refugee

Tidal clearly leading the way and I find it bizarre that Spotify would need people to vote to even consider this.  However, it sounds like Dolby Atmos works only on portable devices like phones.  Or you need to have the Tidal app installed on your Dolby Atmos receiver devices.  For example, you cannot get Dolby Atmos from phone (via Airplay etc) to Sonos Arc Surround Sound but can from Tidal's native TV app that is attached to the Sonos setup.

I'd love it if Spotify enabled Dolby Atmos via phone to Sonos Arc either by Airplay or via the Sonos app Spotify integration.

JamminHard

Apple Music now supports Dobly Atmos... time to switch I guess 🙂
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212182 

frabe8378910

Most thinks often enough said. As a long time premium user I'd always recommend Spotify. It works perfect for music in standard situations like easy listening, mobil use (like at the gym) and so on. But also a hifi friend and having an 3D home cinema setup.

Waiting since two years for a subscription to have a HIFI sound format and a 3D (i.e. Dolby Atmos) format without ANY management indication that it will come in the foreseeable future has lead me to sign an Amazon Music Unlimited subscription at the weekend.

Not as comfortable and smooth integrated as Spotify using the Linux client by me and my wife on the PC, perfect App on Android for Gym, top integration in our Yamaha eceiver (living room) and our Denon receiver (home cinema). Even that the Amazon App has NO real connection to the Denon receiver and you have to use HEOS (currently without 3D sound) it gives you at least CD quality sound. With an "Amazon Fire 4K Max" stick (approx. 50€) connected to my Denon I also i.e. Dolby Atmos. 
We still keep our Spotify family subscription because it is very comfortable, but that could change in the future if there is NO commitment from Spotify for HIFI and 3D sound.

rtom098

So I got the new Sonos era 300, hope you bring some news soon before I first time thinking about swapping the service. 

Aasim

I think it will probably be a matter of time before Spotify has Dolby Atmos. Immersive audio would make MVs and performances feel more realistic, but for most, especially when out and about on mobile data, it would use a lot of bandwidth to stream Atmos.

frabe8378910

In the meantime I've bought an AppleTV and subscribed to Apple music for hearing Dolby Atmos on my Denon AVR in my home cinema. Works great.
Still use Spotify for "standard" music like in the living room or Gym etc.