Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Playlists] Add the same song to multiple playlists simultaneously

There is no reason why Spotify shouldn't have a functionality on at least the desktop app where you can drag one song into as many "selected" playlists as you want and have that song added to all of them at the same time…

Here's a little more info to back up this request:

I'm, for one, the kind of person who obsesses over music, and a huge component of that is the way in which I organize my playlists.

I believe it is probably safe to say that most people wish their music was better organized, but the primary reason why they aren't is simply the amount of time it takes to put together quality playlists. Instead, what most people end up with are a small handful of enormous playlist hundreds, if not thousands, of songs that have no rhyme or reason to why they are in the same playlists.

To avoid this dilemma, I have spent hours and hours sorting through all my favorite songs and making different types of playlists that they may fit into. One thing I learned early on is that a particular song is likely going to fit into multiple playlists, and this is where the problem lies and the primary reason why most people avoid making well thought out playlists altogether.

In order to add a song to all the playlists I want, I have to sit at my computer and continuously drag a new song I want put into different playlists into each individual one over and over again which, when organizing dozens or even hundreds of songs, can take an insane amount of unnecessary time. And that is if you happen to be creating and organizing playlists on the desktop app… if you are trying to do this on your phone, you might as well forget about it - it would take you an hour to add 20 different songs to 10 different playlists.

That is why I believe Spotify should add a function (starting on desktop and eventually moving onto mobile like they are likely to do with the "folders" for playlists) in which a single song can be added to multiple playlists at the same time.

Attached is a picture originally posted by a subscriber named anaraee who had requested this a few years ago, but apparently wasn't able to get enough traction then... hopefully this time will be different.

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-14%20at%202.00.12%20AM.png

Updated on 2021-06-04

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
natesurvell

Can you guys please add an “add to multiple playlists” feature? with like a box next to playlist you can check to add a song to more than one spot?

haileee22

there was an update where you could add a song to multiple playlists at once but you got rid of it. i really liked it, it’s a lot of work having to add a song individually to each playlist. i think brining it back would really improve the app 

This article was posted in 2019.  So I suppose I shouldn't hold my breath... 

sauceymarinara

I’ve switched to using Tidal almost entirely since voting for this two years ago and probably will switch all together. Even though Tidal doesn’t have this option either, its just so much higher in quality imho. Including being easier and actually more enjoyable to use compared to Spotify in the last few years. I probably would’ve stayed if this feature was never removed or added back. Because tbh, I’m pretty salty about it and all of the other downhill changes Spotify has made.

seanf01

This was added for like a week then removed for some reason… then disappeared? 

Why did you guys reverse the add to multiple playlist button from the player view. That was like the best update ever. If there were like separate buttons to add to favorites then a button for saving to individual playlists, that would be beyond perfection! 🙂

breeholiday

spotify.png

I recently had the test feature that replaced the add/remove from liked songs heart button, that allowed me to add a song to multiple playlists at one time as well as see a checklist of what playlists the song is already in.

I understand the other peoples complaints on how they miss the heart button because it showed them what songs they’ve saved before. But as another long term customer of Spotify, a compromise can be made on this. You can have the add/remove from liked songs heart button when swiping through music, while still allowing me to add songs to multiple playlists and see a checklist of what playlists i’ve already added them too when i go to add a song to playlist.

i’ve been waiting for a feature exactly like this for years and have only just learned about this website now through messaging spotify support trying to get this feature back.

seanf01

Now it’s going to take 2-3 months for this great feature to be re-added

srolph21

Been begging for years to be able to add one song to multiple playlists at a time. Rather than adding to one playlist at a time, you should be able to click the three dots and select multiple playlists from your existing list you’d like that song added to. Would save a lot of time and back and forth. 

Impatience

Any update? It's 2023!

memolee

Such a shame, Spotify, please listen to your loyal customers!