Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Playlists] More Playlist Sorting Options/Columns

Sort options within Spotify are severely lacking.

First, what's lacking outright:

sort by year, total plays, personal playcount, current popularity, genre, tempo, etc.

On top of that, sorting should be stackable, e.g. sort by album by year, or sort artist by total plays, etc.

This could apply to within the artists' pages as well, allowing us to sort through all their songs to better find music that suits our tastes.

Updated on 2020-01-23

Hi folks. Thanks for all your votes and comments. We like this idea, but at the moment we're not planning to do this.

If something should change we'll be sure to come back and provide an update.

Comments
BobBurch

Playlists: Coming from a DJ background Playlists are my life. Currently the app provides a 'Section' called 'Playlists' which comprises of 'all playlists' however I would recommend an option to create sub-folders. Folder system which allows to categorize for example Click Playlist then click Electronic, within Electronic playlist we have House Playlist, EDM Playlist, Dubstep playlist etc. Allowing for more configuration. Even section which is 'Followed Playlist' and 'Personal Playlists' to separate from public/private playlists.

fair11sc
This actually already is an option, but it has to be done from the desktop app vs on the phone!
BobBurch
Please share how to accomplish the Playlist sorting?
fair11sc

When on the desktop version of Spotify, and on a Mac, go to File > New Playlist Folder.

I'm sure it is very similar on a PC as well.

Selvane

Why tf not? it seems to be demanded and would only attract individuals to your platform. I personally would love to be able to create a playlist based on BPM so that I can start a work out slow, and move to faster upbeat songs as my workout progresses. The Fact that I do not have these options makes me want to shop around for other platforms that do offer these features. Please VOTE for this if you agree! (upper right corner of this page)

Selvane

@Freshf1 wrote:

This idea is very good. I have been missing columns like BPM. But then of course the BPM must be correct which it isn't when I use the sort by BPM. A lot of songs show double BPM.

YES PLEASE. MAKE IT HAPPEN.

wendyschmidt

Add the release date as a column. That's what I want to be able to look at when I'm listening to something. The history of music, and all artforms, is being lost because outfits like Amazon show only the publication date of the latest edition, or in Spotify's case, the date added to my list. Who cares? I want to be able to place music in the context of history and the evolution of the artform, of other contemporary artists, while I'm listening to it. I know you're just a software company but you are now influencing peoples' understanding of music, whether you like it or not. 

tinyjams

YES PLEASE, and with this please allow us to adjust the column width. The fact that this feature is missing is anought to make me cancel my family plan. 

HowardMarks

I like the idea of having more detailed information on your user play count! 

It would be very cool if there was a user playlist section where regular users could submit their own playlists to compete essentially to be featured on best playlist of the week or month or year section!

I also agree with the concept of more options to sort songs in playlist and artist pages

mightysparks

This is the only reason I still use Windows Media Player alongside Spotify since I mostly like to listen to decades or genre lists. Since WMP stores the dates and genres, I can quickly sort and add to a playlist within about 10 seconds. I then have to manually find each song on Spotify and add it to a playlist, taking anywhere from a few hours to days. The whole searching option on Spotify is practically useless, and it's impossible to use it to discover new music - so for that I still have to use Lastfm. I can't understand how this is not an essential feature. Spotify's only real benefit is not having to burn CDs for my car anymore.