Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Playlists] More Playlist Sorting Options/Columns

Sort options within Spotify are severely lacking.

First, what's lacking outright:

sort by year, total plays, personal playcount, current popularity, genre, tempo, etc.

On top of that, sorting should be stackable, e.g. sort by album by year, or sort artist by total plays, etc.

This could apply to within the artists' pages as well, allowing us to sort through all their songs to better find music that suits our tastes.

Updated on 2020-01-23

Hi folks. Thanks for all your votes and comments. We like this idea, but at the moment we're not planning to do this.

If something should change we'll be sure to come back and provide an update.

Comments
FieldIsRequired

Love this idea.

I'm gonna add and comment on some of the sub-ideas:

Chances are, it might be interesting to add a personal play count counter just to see how many songs I've listened to "a million times." There could be some type of display that shows which songs on Spotify you've played the most, ranking every song you have saved or downloaded. There could even be an online feature, where you compare who listened to the song the most! There's potential for a new Guinness World Record in the making...

From what I know, sort by year was added, however, I wish that you could click on a year (for example, 1977), and see what else in the genre you're listening to was released during that year or something.

Genre tags could also be a neat idea. For example, I could label "Back In Black" as a Rock song in my Saved Song list, and when I make a new playlist, I have the option to create a new playlist and add in all the songs with a label or something along those lines. It works as peoples' moods tend to fluctuate, and someone could want to go from heavy to mellow in a matter of seconds.

A song key finder/BPM could be useful for musicians or people who make high-energy, exercise playlists as well.

Finally, the organization options, like being able to sort by years, albums by years, artist by plays, etc. sounds great!

Mwca44

I've been wanting the sort by plays too!!! I wanna play the songs I hear the least, first.

itsawlgoodrigg

Spotify is second to none for listening to music. It's the best app I have period but NEEDS NEEDS NEEDS NEEDS to add the genre column for "Your Library". It's the only thing I would change about Spotify; but it's definetly a huge upgrade if implemented!

MaxxDelusional

I wish Playlists had a 'random' sort. I know I can turn on shuffle while playing music, but I often turn shuffle off when listening to albums. When I go back to listen to my playlist, it always starts with the first song.

I wish I could periodically randomize the order of the songs, or have a "Shuffle by Default" option when playing a playlist.

mikeylikeymusic

Happy to see other users care about these issues as well!

shelbyyvonnee

seriously, why can't i sort my library/playlists by year or genre??? this is SO BASIC for every other media player that has ever existed.

frankvanhuet

Also just very basic sorting like reverse ordering, so that last added songs are on top. I love spotify but it annoys the **bleep** out of me that the last added songs are on the bottom of the list and I need to scroll down on my iphone just to click the last few songs to hear for a short drive etc.

This is that basic, other music services have this already for ages. I love spotify as it integrates so well, with my other devices, car stereo, etc. but this simple (and sure not hard to implement) option would take away a major annoyance.

TTilawok

I agree! We need a way to organize playlists. Search would help a lot, also the ability to tag playlists or place them into folders related to genre or custom user generated labels. 

anitagrott

totally agree!

Yes! YES!!

Please.