Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Playlists][Premium] Preview song samples when adding songs to playlists

Bring the ability to preview songs when adding them to a playlist back, it makes it extremely hard to find new music to add to a playlist cause you no longer know what it sounds like without listening to it separately from the add songs list. The feature made it supremely satisfying to make a new playlist and removing this feature ruins the likeability of the app for both me and many other listeners. It's a extreme mistake and I'd highly recommend to add it back not only for ease of UI but for general expansion of music exploration.

Updated on 2022-05-14

Hey! Looks like your idea is growing up fast and it's amazing! We are going to change its status to 'Good Suggestion' now and we hope it continues being supported by more and more users.
Thanks again for your suggestion. We really appreciate it 🙂

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Comments
Ignacevau

If the reason they removed this is because of the free accounts abusing the feature to find songs and download them from competitors, then please make this a premium only feature.

LieutenantPie

Absolutely mind boggling to remove a feature like this, reminds me of years back when they removed the ability to long press any song or album to preview the middle of the song, it was really useful for ordering playlists and making sure songs flow into each other

If there are no plans to restore the feature for whatever reason, why not at least add an "add to queue" button? Makes no sense for the only option to be committing to adding it to the playlist when I don't even know what the song sounds like

Mg42

This was my favorite feature of Spotify, put them over the top for me from SoundCloud or Apple Music. There is nothing now that is keeping me from switching platforms. 

Yoda_complains

I completely agree!! Making playlists for fun used to be one of my favorite things to do on the app but without the ability to sample the song before adding it I feel like I can’t add songs unless I know them by heart. I’m forced to exit from the playlist entirely to listen to a song and see if I really want it in the playlist. It’s all a big waste of time I think it makes the app worse without this feature. 

Frederik81

I truly wonder if/how the Spotify team uses the "add songs" feature now. I can't imagine they must think it's useful now? The way they implemented it right now only works if you know the suggested songs by heart and even then it's not ideal nor fun to create playlists anymore. 

So please tell me Spotify. What is the reasoning behind this removal?

Luan
Status changed to: Good Suggestion

Updated on 2022-05-14

Hey! Looks like your idea is growing up fast and it's amazing! We are going to change its status to 'Good Suggestion' now and we hope it continues being supported by more and more users.
Thanks again for your suggestion. We really appreciate it 🙂

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Frederik81

Great! We’re at 66 votes and the status has changed to ‘good suggestion’. I hope we can manage to get to ‘live idea’.

“Good Suggestion

Your idea has reached the first threshold - it has more than 50 +Votes in under 3 months. 

Live Idea 

Ideas that have gathered 180 +Votes in under 6 months get this status and they are brought to the attention of the Spotify team.”

This feature has to come back. 

Socks_nb

Going to sob if they bring this back as a premium only feature. I’ve never even heard of people using the Spotify preview to find music and download it somewhere else. And everyone is complaining about how it’s borderline impossible to make playlists now. This whole thing is just a huge disservice to the community and it really sucks that it sounds like it’s all coming down to be about being money hungry. And I don’t know about anyone else but with how many times Spotify has done stuff like this it’s starting to become just a really stressful app to use. If anyone knows any other music streaming services that offer the preview feature I’d love to start making a list of alternatives. Tired of coming back to the Spotify community page every time they take away a basic feature. 

Princess_Aria

The ability to preview songs before adding them to playlists is a huge part of why I use Spotify. It kills the ability to easily discover new music if you remove it. Why use Spotify if I can only make playlist with songs I already know, rather than finding new songs and artists? This is probably going to be a deal breaker for me if left unchanged. 

jayespea

I came here to be one of many people reporting the sample feature not working per a glitch in the app. Spotify intentionally removed the feature? I'm waiting for it to be restored to add any more songs to playlists and will cancel my account if it is not.