[All Platforms][Playlists] Randomize playlist order

I have a collaborative playlist, and every once in a while I want to be able to randomize the order while preserving the information of which user added it. I know I can sort by different columns, or play with shuffle on. I want to randomize the actual playlist. I know there's third party tools, or you can copy the list > shuffle > copy back but that makes it look like I added them all.

Updated on 2020-02-15

Hello and thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange. We've marked this as a new idea.

This is a repost of this inactive idea.

Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes. More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

0 Likes
Comments
Status changed to: Need more information

Updated on 2020-02-14

Hey @newnathan,

Thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange!

Do you mind explaining how this would be different to simply playing the songs in the collaborative playlist on shuffle? If you think it might help, you could include a link to the third-party tool to illustrate your idea.

Thanks - keep us posted!

newnathan
Casual Listener

Hi

I actually found a third-party tool to do what I wanted. It's at https://stevenaleong.com/tools/spotifyplaylistrandomizer

The difference is that the next song is predictable by anyone who can see the playlist, and (I don't know if this is actually the case) the built-in shuffle algorithm seems to favor some songs over others, or doesn't move far away from the previous song in the playlist. For example, if I add 5 20-song albums to a playlist and hit "shuffle playlist" it seems to mostly stick to one album for a while before jumping to another. This way guarantees they are random by taking them all into account before starting playback.

Hey there @newnathan,

Thanks for adding this!

Keep in mind that if you're using the desktop app, you can always change the order of songs in a collaborative playlist by dragging different tracks up or down. This shouldn't affect the username of the person who added them in the playlist.

As for your idea, the tool you shared offers three options to reorder visually a playlist. Would that be something that would also happen if your idea was implemented? 

On another note, it'd be useful if you could update your idea's description to clarify and include these details to help other users who want to show their support.

We'll be keeping an eye out for your reply, thanks 🙂

Status changed to: New Idea

Updated on 2020-02-15

Hello and thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange. We've marked this as a new idea.

This is a repost of this inactive idea.

Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes. More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.