Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] [Podcast] Individual Autoplay Settings

I think Podcasts should have different settings for autoplay than music. With music, the most desired way to listen is to proceed to the next song automatically without having to select one. But that's not the way podcasts are generally consumed - it is a more deliberate process. And particularly because the default sorting of a podcast is to display them with the most recent podcast first, it's quite a disruption to listen to a podcast all the way through and it begins to play the "next" episode - which also happens to be an older one that you've probably already listened to. There should be a setting that users can select to only play one podcast at a time. When the podcast is done, I want to manually select which episode of which podcast to listen to next, not have it chosen for me - and I would bet that's a pretty common listening pattern.

Updated on 2021-06-13

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
xander185
I don't know if they have. I know they recently added playlists for
podcasts and this might get around it somewhat. I stopped using spotify
except for exclusive podcasts and went back to Pocket Cast.
battierpeeler

this idea has been here 2.5 years and we still don't have this. spotify just keeps playing things i don't want because it doesn't end playing when the podcast ends. laughably bad.

tropicalsurf

In most cases I'd be fine with podcasts auto playing, but I would want it to play the latest episode. What I definitely do not want it to do is play an episode I already listened to. That's the worst, and that's exactly what it does. I would call that a bug, not a feature request 😄

Mario
Status changed to: Live Idea

Updated on 2021-06-13

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

JoeH_Belf

Podcasts on Spotify are unbearable. I use Apple Podcasts, it’s much more flexible. I have full control over how I listen: plus it has a sleep timer. Sort this out Spotify. 

Ryantrials

Please add this, or enable a timer sleep option so it stops playing after a certain time

ahov

This is the one single feature keeping me from using Spotify as my sole podcast platform. 

perpettersson

There needs to be an option to disable autoplay for podcasts if Spotify is considering to be a podcast player contendor. Right now, with no stop after your episode que, it is quite useless.

Orang1

Ideally (and as they wrote):

1. In Settings: Podcast Autoplay function & Music Autoplay Function to be separated.
  2. By default: Any fully Played Podcast Episodes (or marked as Played) should not be played next when Autoplay is on. The next episode to be played should be the next Unplayed episode.
  3. In Settings: Possibility to sort Podcast Episodes by dates ascending or descending and Autoplay should follow the chosen order for the Episode to be played next (so not just a simple sort).

If you can do that that would be amazing ! (example where already done: CastBox App)😊

Decorum

I guess I just want to reemphasize this. After the last few updates on Apple Podcasts, the app has become buggy and largely not useful. I have made the temporary swap to using Spotify for both music and podcasts (where in the past it was just music). I largely find the Spotify Podcast player far less buggy and really enjoy having everything centralized in one app, but I really need separate settings for the podcast part of the app.

For instance, I LOVE autoplay for music and has allowed me to discover so many new songs. However, I often find it annoying when the next podcast plays on Spotify, as I may not necessarily want to start that podcast. Would also enjoy an auto download option if possible as well. 

On a positive note: 4 years ago I would never have considered using Spotify for podcasts. It has come a VERY far way, but please don't sleep on it now! It could still use some work and I think creating a separate section under settings for it would alleviate a lot of issues with the current state that it's at.