Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] [Podcast] Individual Autoplay Settings

I think Podcasts should have different settings for autoplay than music. With music, the most desired way to listen is to proceed to the next song automatically without having to select one. But that's not the way podcasts are generally consumed - it is a more deliberate process. And particularly because the default sorting of a podcast is to display them with the most recent podcast first, it's quite a disruption to listen to a podcast all the way through and it begins to play the "next" episode - which also happens to be an older one that you've probably already listened to. There should be a setting that users can select to only play one podcast at a time. When the podcast is done, I want to manually select which episode of which podcast to listen to next, not have it chosen for me - and I would bet that's a pretty common listening pattern.

Updated on 2021-06-13

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
the_aceix

The autonext must be optional. Sometimes I just need to listen to just a previous episode and autonext become annoying!

Awakened-One

I agree on this. since the last update, all podcasts have been auto-playing older episodes for the next episode played. it doesn't matter that they are marked as played already. even if all of them are marked as played, it will auto-play an old episode. I have uninstalled and reinstalled twice now making sure I fully deleted it using the directions found on Spotify Community. I have tried every setting to see if I can fix it. nothing works. I have been searching for works in the Community and many other forums to find a solution. nothing works. can you please fix this issue? podcast playback settings are next to nil. And, I really think they should have separate settings for podcasts than music. I really don't want to have 2 different apps for music and podcasts. But, it seems I may have to since this is a constant issue of sub-par settings in Spotify since they took on podcasts. Can y'all please fix this asap? i pay for the premium family plan and would like to have 1 app for music and podcasts.

thank you for your time,

AT

xander185
I gave up. The podcasts i was forced to use Spotify for have now left after
a year and gone back to usual methods. So I am back to Pocket Casts for
everything. Spotify take note. If you want to do podcasts you need to make
your app work for podcasts.
Alexanfl

This feature is a must. 

JasonBDougherty

I need to be able to turn off autoplay on Podcasts.  Autoplaying to the next podcast is disruptive, and if I stop the next podcast without fast forwarding to the end, then it appears as if I started the podcast and never finished it.  Such a simple feature to implement, and you could make EVERYONE happy to have that option.  Instead you choose to alienate a percentage of your users?  Not sure why.  Please implement this function.

AmyJoy

When I wake up in the night, I play a sleep podcast. I have to also use the sleep timer to set it to end. On nights when I am not sleeping well, I might do this 4 or 5 times, always having to remember and focus well enough to set the sleep timer. Having the option within each podcast (or even a single setting for all podcasts) to stop after playing the chosen episode or queue, would make my use of Spotify at night more likely.

blooddonut

been a while for this. still waiting on a simple feature

cvghoijpk

It's been years and there's still no option to turn off autoplay for podcasts on the Mac desktop app or the iOS app (haven't used the web player)...are they just saying "go f**k yourself" to paying subscribers that have been asking for this? I just don't understand. I've had to resort to using the terminal on my laptop to look at the time remaining on the podcast, set a timer, and kill Spotify. It's ridiculous that I've had to use this workaround.

If there's another update on any of their apps and they don't include this necessary feature, I'm done with spotify. I listen to mostly the same music, which I have downloaded, so I can get my music no problem. And the JRE podcast isn't as good anymore, so the only other podcasts I listen are also free on YT, which also doesn't have ads if you use a decent browser. 

xander185
Even Amazon Music does podcasts better and that is saying something.
Nonofyourbusiness

Come on Spotify sort this out, for me it’s a major issue.

I’m a premium subscriber but I have to use a different company to listen to podcasts 🤷‍♂️