Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] [Podcast] Individual Autoplay Settings

I think Podcasts should have different settings for autoplay than music. With music, the most desired way to listen is to proceed to the next song automatically without having to select one. But that's not the way podcasts are generally consumed - it is a more deliberate process. And particularly because the default sorting of a podcast is to display them with the most recent podcast first, it's quite a disruption to listen to a podcast all the way through and it begins to play the "next" episode - which also happens to be an older one that you've probably already listened to. There should be a setting that users can select to only play one podcast at a time. When the podcast is done, I want to manually select which episode of which podcast to listen to next, not have it chosen for me - and I would bet that's a pretty common listening pattern.

Updated on 2021-06-13

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
vanndrage

Over 4 years and this still is not implemented?!?! Ridiculous. 

Shonuffharlem

Seriously I'd pay for Spotify if this was fixed. It really ruins the podcast experience playing then so they show as continue playing podcasts. 

ktg807

My daughter was listening to Momo the Squirrel podcast. When it ended, Spotify's brilliant algorithm decided that a podcast called Horrifying History should play next due to the autoplay setting which "plays something similar". It chose to play an episode about the Smiley Face Killer. Now I'm answering questions about serial killers from my 5 year old daughter. 

Thanks a bunch Spotify. 

Here's an idea, fix your product. 

Please allow autoplay off for podcasts
lismurph

I like having autoplay on for music but hate it for podcasts. I find it super jarring to go from one podcast to something completely different.
Provide separate settings so that autoplay can be turned on for music but off for podcasts. 

Stagnatsioon

This has been the most annoying bug for years and seems like a few hours of dev effort; would be interesting to know what else you've been prioritising all this time

toadslayer

When will we get another update? It's been two years since a status update has been posted.

fladenbrot320

Another annoying thing spotify seems to ignore. I love starting a podcast to listen before I sleep, just to find it streaming all night. Why cant they just fix this. Stupid Mofos.

ericbres

Just so you know, the fact Spotify does this, this annoying Autoplay that can't be disabled, is the reason I don't use it for podcasts!

ericbres

Unbelievable that this has been voted on for 5 years, and supposedly brought to the attention of the developers at least 2 years ago, and still no action at all. Gives a really bad impression of the Spotify company and how much they're in touch with their customers....