Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Podcasts] Option to disable or hide podcasts entirely

I don't listen to podcasts and don't intend to. But it currently takes up valuable space in both the Spotify mobile app and also in Android Auto. It's annoying having to see podcasts all the time when I don't care for them and don't want to see them.

Is it not reasonable to just have a toggle to show podcasts or not?

Updated on 2023-10-13

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Idea Exchange and for bringing us your continual feedback. We also think this is a great idea and that there's an opportunity to make it happen, so we're looking into it further.

We'll post here when we have an update - Stay tuned!

Comments
FUC4

Something's fishy here........

Fuller1754

It makes sense that Spotify would want to use its popularity to expand into other listening spaces like podcasts and audio books. I get it. And that's fine. But for goodness' sake, why can't you do this through a separate app? Spotify Music and Spotify Audio, or whatever. Or Spodcasts. Okay, kidding about that last one. The point is, music and spoken word are totally different things. In your main app, keep it music only. Stick with one thing within that app, give it the attention it deserves, and do it well. People appreciate that kind of thing. If Spotify makes a great music experience, with smart radio mixes, well-curated playlists, on-point suggestions, and hi-fi streaming, music lovers will trust you. Many of these things you are already doing well. I've discovered a ton of music through Spotify that I don't think I could have stumbled upon any other way. And I'm grateful. But you are squeezing out your music features by stuffing the app with podcast and audio book content—and it's a mess. Hence all these complaints! Listen to us. Split these very different platforms into two or even three apps and do each one right. People will like that, trust me. At the very least, make these platforms discretely seperated silos within the app, like how Amazon Music has "Music" and "Podcasts" tabs at the top. They're in the same app, but you only see one at a time.

SquidFace
It does make sense. I would much rather have two or three apps that serve specific purposes well than one app that mushes everything together. However, instead of listening to this thread, they changed the name of their app to the grammatically incorrect “Spotify - Music and Podcasts.” Which shows how much they care about their listeners.

YouTube realizes how sensible this is and has a separate music app.

Apple has always done this.

Tidal has some podcasts made by artists, but those are only on the artists’ page, and the music videos are given a separate button on the bottom of the screen. And they listen to their customers. If you email them feedback, they respond.

Deezer is just music (or was a few months ago).

heheheheheheha

I want to reiterate. This is never happening. Never. Spotify has no reason to do this. None.

Leave for Apple Music. As soon as Spotify actually has a decrease in MAUs, they might decide to change.

RexusDom

Honestly, this is a joke that something like this can be requested so much and not even be considered.

I have two podcasts that I listened to less than 5 minutes of each, and I have absolutely no way of making them leave my home screen.

Really terrible support.

treejohn

This is ridiculous. I listed to a podcast out of curiosity a few times, and now it WILL NOT go away from my home screen. PLEASE GIVE US A WAY TO REMOVE IT.

Berx1307

Please let the user either hide/remove certain podcasts from showing up on the home screen/podcast tab or add the ability to fully remove all podcasts from the home screen or the whole app. It really should not be such a hard feature to implement. Apple already split music and podcasts in two different apps and I believe every other competitor has this feature as well.

Yes, I know this has been asked countless times before in other threads, but years have past and this is still not a feature. All we got were tone-deaf moderators talking about upvoting for more attention, which it evidently did not get, or changing the topic talking about other features that do not solve the problem. Im getting the idea that this whole 'Community' space is useless since Spotify will not listen anyway.

silver01

Please give us the option to hide the podcasts suggestions on the front page. Please!

Fuller1754

I was thinking about this the other day. Spotify pays musicians per stream, right?. Podcasts are paid for by ads, even for Premium members, and audiobooks must be purchased individually, again, even for Premium members. This means that the less people listen to music, the better it is for Spotify. Now, how can they keep you engaged with the app but not listening to music? Answer: push non-music content.

heheheheheheha is right. Spotify has no reason to remove them from the app. Of course, I’d love to be wrong about this.

Spocka

Got Spotify for my 11 year old for his birthday - came home today to find him upset telling me please Dad can you get this video off my phone. It’s a podcast video of someone shooting cuddly toys in the head. I discover there is no way to remove this, no way to filter the content, and that thousands of people have complained for years with no response. I subscribed to family premium so that my kids could listen to music, not have unlimited access to disturbing videos. Cancelling my family subscription is the only option now. It’s such a shame and so unnecessary - why would you ignore so many requests to provide parental controls ?