Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Podcasts] Option to disable or hide podcasts entirely

I don't listen to podcasts and don't intend to. But it currently takes up valuable space in both the Spotify mobile app and also in Android Auto. It's annoying having to see podcasts all the time when I don't care for them and don't want to see them.

Is it not reasonable to just have a toggle to show podcasts or not?

Updated on 2023-10-13

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Idea Exchange and for bringing us your continual feedback. We also think this is a great idea and that there's an opportunity to make it happen, so we're looking into it further.

We'll post here when we have an update - Stay tuned!

Comments

Qobuz, the streaming from France, just arrived in Canada / Quebec. Subscribed for free trial. One day of use and I really love it. The UI is really nice. The content and recommandations are based on my location. At top of the home screen are many playlists related to music from Quebec (in french). No streaming platform given to me this to discover music from my French province. The app let choose witch categories you want to show on the home screen. They even have a partnership with Soundiiz to transfer all the content from another streaming for free.

Just transferred all my playlists and albums from Apple Music that replaced Spotify last November. Will see after the trial. But I know that I will never come back to Spotify !

PS : Qobuz have Hi-Res music like Apple Music and a great section Magazine that offer many nice articles about many subjects in musical universe. 

onlytocomplain

No update since June 2021, what the frock is wrong with you frocks?

sblocks94

I suggested this and my post got removed bc it was close to this. It's gotten worse with this recent update. It's so annoying

Spaceboy88

It's beyond frustrating that this is not an option for paid members. I never launch Spotify with the intent of listening to music and see podcasts on my home screen and switch my intent. I'm fine if they want to force them on free members, but I'm already giving you money every month and should be able to customize my experience. 

pwittke

How is this still not implemented? Can't be that complicated to have users remove or hide podcasts from their homescreen?
I listened to one episode for like 3 minutes and didn't like it... now it sits on #3 in my selections even tho all the other podcasts have way more listening hours and it is not even in any sensible order?

C'mon Spotify this is annoying and should not take 5 years to be added.

PaulMac

The whole autoplay/TikTok update was a desperate attempt by Spotify to get users engaged more with podcasts and audiobooks. They've spent crazy money on these additional features (more than $1 billion on podcasts alone) and need to claw that money back.

The official Spotify spin on the rollout of the new design - the so-called 'Biggest Evolution Yet' was that it was built for deeper discovery and 'more meaningful connections'. Absolute horse_sh1t! It was designed to force unwanted features down the throats of users to get us to spend more. They've entirely missed or ignored the point that most of us just use Spotify to listen to music and are not in the slightest bit interested in all the recent visual enhancements.

And unfortunately that need for Spotify to recoup it's investment is the reason they'll never provide an option to hide or disable podcasts. Expect the unwanted Spotify bloat to get worse rather than better, it's here to stay. If you want to get away from it there's only one answer... sign up to a different provider. 

stadi1

Yeah, I tried to move away from Spotify (biggest reason is the lack of hi-fi). Unfortunately Qobuz' Android Auto implementation is garbage, and a lot of albums / artists I listen to are missing there. Should they fix these (I doubt it, they don't seem to be that good unless it's about sound quality) I will move to them. 

betimi8

Are there any updates on this?

MrBue

@stadi1

Why does it have to be Qobuz? All other providers like Apple Music, Tidal, Deezer and Amazon Music have a better quality and often a very good Android Auto implementation. Just try something different. 

It's really not hard to get away from Spotify. 😏

stadi1

@MrBue: it's not that easy 🙂

Apple Music: everything is Android in our Family, I don't think Apple Music fits. And I still get nightmares when I hear iTunes.
Tidal: they are using a fake lossless codec called MQA, so are basically lying to the users. They also "sell" reduced quality music as high-quality. I won't touch it.

Deezer: They have some very strange devices limits. The main account in a Family subscription can use 3 devices everyone else 2 or something similar. I need to be able to use every account on more than 3 devices.

Amazon Music: I do have Prime, but what comes with that is a joke. The full package might be better, bit if it is anything like Prime Video, the UI must be horrible. Also, just because I live in Germany, a lot of stuff is German in Prime Video (a lot of text, all the trailers, burnet in text in the videos), so I could imagine they would push German stuff on me even if I set the app to English.

Yeah, I'm not that easy 🙂