Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Podcasts] Option to disable or hide podcasts entirely

I don't listen to podcasts and don't intend to. But it currently takes up valuable space in both the Spotify mobile app and also in Android Auto. It's annoying having to see podcasts all the time when I don't care for them and don't want to see them.

Is it not reasonable to just have a toggle to show podcasts or not?

Updated on 2023-10-13

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Idea Exchange and for bringing us your continual feedback. We also think this is a great idea and that there's an opportunity to make it happen, so we're looking into it further.

We'll post here when we have an update - Stay tuned!

Comments
Tekniskt

This is very important for me, the podcast really distroy my experience of searching for  music.

Griffsta

And a year later and Spotify doesn't not care what you guys think. Time to vote with your wallet if you want to see change at Spotify. Also Spotify has brought heaps of podcasting companies do you really think that they would want to not push this content which they have paid millions for to their user base ? Vote with your Wallets plenty of other music services out there.

Please allow users to choose wether they want or don’t want podcast suggestions on their home page. Your music tab is NOT what I am referring to as it is essentially useless- giant images of album covers that prevent searching and discovery. Why should you remove podcasts from homepage? 

1. The way we search for music is DRASTICALLY different than how we search for podcasts. Many users rely heavily on recently played music/playlists/suggested songs and artists… but I don’t know anyone who searches for podcasts this way. 

2. the “music tab” you made is 100% useless because you take us to a section with giant album covers ( which is another issue all your users HATE). *p.s. Try using your “music” section while driving or working lol, it’s extremely unsafe to scroll through gigantic photos.

3. We just want the regular homepage, but without podcasts. Make it look like that- tons of music suggestions based on recently played stuff (but no podcasts)

4. Example: I only listen to the same four podcasts at work but Spotify thinks I want 500000 useless podcast suggestions. The homepage is literally useless to me because it no longer has music…It shows like one daily mix of music I liked last year but I am desperate for more music suggestions.

Lesani

Slight glimmer of hope, I updated 2 or 3 days ago: App version 8.7.92.521 has so far not shown podcasts on my home screen in the app or on carplay.

MrBue

@Lesani: Podcasts are also displayed in this app version. Currently only one series, but some are displayed. So please do not rejoice too early!

inetbas

Hmm, sofar I noticed no difference in GUI and experience either on iOS, PC or android. 

BTW: The reason I am still also on spotify is due the Duo subscription with my daughter. Otherwise I would be fully gone with the wind already. BTW: qobuz is really nice. If they par or even better with the device connectivity and further overall GUI experience with Spotify.  They will become for me the king of music streaming and leaving Spotify in the dark dungeons of obscurity.  
Then there is also no need for Spotify to do anything about this feature of splitting the podcast and Music experience. This because Spotify will become SpotiPod/Podify for PODcast only 😉   Then Spotify makes it then very clear to all of us where music lovers have to go. 

webbo

I'm starting to get REALLY tired of seeing Joe Rogans grin on my home page now....  I MEAN REALLY!!!    It would be really nice if spotify actually read these forums and the feedback quite a few customers agrees on by now.

rpbaptist

I'm so damn tired of Spotify pushing podcasts. Now I get "Podcasts about racism" specifically. I don't want CRT pushed on me. I want to listen to music. That's what I'm paying you for. Tidal is becoming more attractive every day.

noforpodcasts

What's with Spotify's obsession to podcasts? It's basically first item on home page and occupies MOST of the screen estate in Carplay which you need to scroll over to get to music... Pretty bad design for a music app. 

I've seen multiple threads about how to get rid of it for almost 6 years now, isn't +6000 votes enough? 

biblioman

Griffsta said: "Time to vote with your wallet if you want to see change at Spotify. Also Spotify has brought heaps of podcasting companies do you really think that they would want to not push this content which they have paid millions for to their user base ?"

Completely right. They're not going to change this. They've spent $1.2 BILLION dollars since Feb 2019 acquiring podcast and audiobook related companies. (Source is "Spotify Has Spent $1.2Bn+ On Companies To Scale Its Non-Music Business Over The Past 3 Years" by Music Business Worldwide.) People who are specifically interested in music aren't their target demographic anymore. 

There's no point staying on this sinking ship if you just want music. If anyone wants my suggestions on where to go, here's my best-to-worst rating:

Youtube Music: no podcasts at all. (Also, the recommendation algorithm is awesome. And it's the only decent option if you like mashups and/or video game music - you can upload your own if it's not there.)

Deezer: has a Podcasts tab, but when you open the app it puts you on the Music tab (which doesn't show you podcasts).

Tidal: doesn't have any podcasts, but all the UI is huge.

Amazon Music: has too many podcasts.