Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Remember Position in Playlist / Album

Please remember the current song playing in a playlist so if I switch away to a different playlist and then switch back, Spotify will know where I left off.

I often can't finish a playlist right away or my mood changes so I might switch to a different playlist. Later, I want to finish the previous playlist, not start over again.

Updated on 2023-03-27

Hey everyone,

This idea accidentally ended up in the wrong board, so we're moving it back here. 

We're keeping the Not Right Now status as we don't have any immediate plans to implement this. As soon as we have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here.

Take care.

Comments
aesterling

Absolutely! I think ANY solution to the problem would be welcomed at this point 🙂

tomillie

+1, please

troikv

I like the idea using a green line to mark the last position. However, in a long playlist it still takes time to scroll to this position. So in addition I'd also have a button (maybe a shared Play button at the beginning of a playlist) that says resume and the playlist automatically starts from the position where the user has stopped the last time.

resume.png

ambigus9

troikv, Which platafform are you using? Mobile Phone, Web App, or Desktop App? Thanks. Finally It's has been implemented?

troikv

@ambigus9To my knowledge it is not implemented on any platform, yet. The screenshot I posted is just a suggestion how this feature may be embedded in the UI.

aesterling

@troikv wrote:

I like the idea using a green line to mark the last position. However, in a long playlist it still takes time to scroll to this position. So in addition I'd also have a button (maybe a shared Play button at the beginning of a playlist) that says resume and the playlist automatically starts from the position where the user has stopped the last time.

resume.png

@troikv I like your mock-up! It's another good idea that would work on both mobile and desktop. If only Spotify would implement ANY of these suggestions!

Arie-Kanarie

+1.

Started using Spotify Premium not so long ago, and I'm missing this feature from day one I start using it. Amazing how someone described more than 6 years ago the same thoughts/feelings I have now in 2018.

Come on Spotify, implement it. @troikv already made the screen mockup for you 🙂

ervinnemeth

I think keeping track of the play progress would be perfectly sufficient for only those items which are in the "recently played" list. Picking an item in the "recently played" list could also automatically resume.

aesterling

I honestly spent over 30 minutes yesterday trying to find the spot where I left off playing New Music Friday from a few days ago. It would sure be nice if there was a simple way to resume each playlist/album where I left off!

aesterling

For everyone using iOS devices, yesterday Apple released iOS 12 which includes support for Siri Shortcuts. That feature allows you to control third-party apps using your voice with Siri. In addition, you can create workflows to automatically run a series of actions. For example, you can tell Siri that you're leaving work and it will automatically open Google Maps with directions home, text your family that you're leaving, and most importantly, resume your Spotify playlist!

The catch is that 3rd party developers need to enable this "Siri Shortcuts" feature in their apps. Other music apps like Pandora have already added support and Spotify should do the same. It would be another great way to resume playback where you left off (which is obviously the main topic of this idea!)