[All Platforms] Remove DRM and support universal format downloading & support hi-res

Firstly, we strongly demand, that your company to provide an universal format for downloading, i.e. mp3, ogg, flac Even if it is paid!!! Your DRM and proprietary format does crack down piracy, but also have a huge drawback to many legitimate users. Especially for many music lovers who want to play their songs on EVERY device. We demand that your company to provide universal format downloading ASAP. DRM is the barrier of the music industry, which prevents the music from being open to many people. I know that musicians need their own income. But it shouldn't be done via imposing restrictions. It should be done by introducing a "buy single track" function which most of the music streaming services in my home country China provides.

The price of single track purchase is very cheap in such platforms. And users will be allowed to streamed on every platform and every device. Regardless of their membership status.
I hope that this practise can also be applied for Spotify. Then everyone will be happy to listen to music anytime and anywhere.

I know that Spotify is the #1 popular music platform in the world. It should be the leader to make the change.

To make Spotify better, the closed ecosystem must be turned into an open ecosystem. So everyone please support an open and libre music ecosystem!

Secondly, please support hi-res formats such as DSD DXD and SACD! They are way better than any traditional PCM music! Please allow users to purchase their favourite tracks and albums instead of forcing them to only play on Spotify and not on other players and platforms (such as Sony Walkman)

121014-DXDLogo-600.jpg
500px-DSDlogo.svg.png
hi-res-audio-logo-bbxx-58cd413e5f9b581d7242d24c.jpg

Updated on 2020-05-09

Hello and thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange. We've marked this as a new idea.
Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Comments
Rock Star 10
Rock Star 10
Status changed to: New Idea

Updated on 2020-05-09

Hello and thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange. We've marked this as a new idea.
Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Visitor

Yes - I want to burn some CDs of a playlist of fifty songs for my technophobic grandparents. This should be a couple of clicks via Paypal. But instead I have to search various other platforms for the same songs one by one and manually remake the playlist. Fat L.

Gig Goer

TERRIBLE SOUND with Spotify Premium with NO LOSSLESS CD Quality content and streaming.

Just offer SPOTIFY LOSSLESS for $2 more a month for audiophiles who want it, they'll pay for it!

Update: Came back a year later to check back in and try again. NOPE. After using Tidal Hi-Fi, Quobuz, Amazon music Premium and WOW, what a difference, the sound of Spotify Premium is super compressed sounding, highs are rolled off, bottom end low frequency is rolled off, sound stage is compressed. Its too bad Spotify does not have leaders and engineers who understand what people want.

Love the user interface and learning engine, but it sounds weak, nothing like Tidal HiFi.

Using Spotify to find and learn music, and add the music on Tidal and listen to it THERE instead.

Wake up Spotify...

Visitor

I was the user who created this idea. I am sad to see that almost three months have passed, nothing has changed! Not even a **bleep**!!! Apple has already ditched DRM so why shouldn't Spotify do the same? We are willing to pay extra money for this, as long as the files can be put into devices such as SONY Walkman! It's time to change the closed ecosystem. It is no longer welcomed by most people! Wake up, Spotify! You just do not let us to listen to music on any device even we have paid! Spotify really sucks! So does TIDAL! TIDAL does the same as Spotify does, so do not even think that TIDAL is better!

They all follow the same scheme! Even if the user pays for it, they just do not give a **bleep**ing DRM-free file but random file cache streams that cannot be opened by any software.

In my country China (Mainland), there is a option to buy the track/album for a price then the user can listen  to it anytime, anywhere on any device, regardless of membership status. Why does Spotify not even think of adding this feature?

Better learn from Apple and Amazon. They have stores where people can really get DRM free music. I have no idea why you just do not do this.