Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Setting for max Cache Size Allowance

The android version of Spotify currently doesn't have a setting for how much disk space the cache is allowed to take up, so it just keeps getting larger and larger until the entire drive is full. 

A music streaming app should not need several gigabytes of  drive space. Give us the option to cap this - getting real tired of getting told I'm out of disk space and having to manually wipe it.

Updated on 2021-06-07

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
epetin

I would like to get a response from Spotify: what is the status of this idea? How many votes you need to take this very small but extremely important feature under implementation? Does it make sense that certain amount of votes is needed for any feature to get it done, since it is obvious that most of the users won't vote for this since they don't even understand what this is about? Do you ever answer to any questions from your customers?

epetin

I have posted a question to the comments on the improvement idea: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/All-Platforms-Setting-for-max-cache-size-allowance/idi-p...

I would like to see a response from Spotify there.

acrookedsmile

@Kalmorasimply uninstalling the app and reinstalling it takes about 5 minutes. This also deletes the cache.

GordonHannan

@acrookedsmile you can also delete the app cache in iOS and Android, but this would be so simple to implement and save users the time of having to delete cache or uninstall/reinstall/sign-in and download/cahce the smaller amount of music they want.

epetin

@Luke you seem to have something to say about this, since you have hassled with the status of this issue?

acrookedsmile

@GordonHannanof course it would be very simple for them to implement. This used to be a feature at least on the Windows client but they have removed it along the way.

My suggestion is not a solution, merely a work-around and work-arounds are necessary if one, like me, have lost faith that Spotify will suddenly reverse course and restore the feature they took a corporate decision to take away from users.

epetin

So the question is: why did they remove max cache setting if it really existed? Has it been present in the other versions than just Windows client?

Has anyone verified whether this much talked cached data is even used (i.e. if you replay a song, does the client download the data again or does it really use the cache)? Easy test.

I'm currently testing Tidal, if I end up quitting my Spotify Premium subscription after 10 years and start paying my money to some other music streaming software provider (possibly a company that cares about customer relationships).

Fedsottotvpc

Come on Spotify, just a way to allow us to limit the cache size... Should not be that complicated considering you are already limiting it....

Thanks!

Kalmora

Spotify spamms still my Android SD card. That is NOT a nice user experience.

Kalmora

Spotify, spamming my SD card is still not a nice user expirience