Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Setting for max Cache Size Allowance

The android version of Spotify currently doesn't have a setting for how much disk space the cache is allowed to take up, so it just keeps getting larger and larger until the entire drive is full. 

A music streaming app should not need several gigabytes of  drive space. Give us the option to cap this - getting real tired of getting told I'm out of disk space and having to manually wipe it.

Updated on 2021-06-07

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
celsoft

Yes - it's crazy that AUDIO streaming should take up SO MUCH cache. 

Sure, some cache/data storage is needed for Spotify settings, playlist data etc., but GIGABYTES ?!

Presumably streaming VIDEO is much heavier on resources than streaming AUDIO, but Youtube doesn't occupy huge amounts of cache which need to be deleted on a regular basis. If they can do it, you can do it !

@Jellybadger wrote:

The android version of Spotify currently doesn't have a setting for how much disk space the cache is allowed to take up, so it just keeps getting larger and larger until the entire drive is full. 

A music streaming app should not need several gigabytes of  drive space. Give us the option to cap this - getting real tired of getting told I'm out of disk space and having to manually wipe it.

kr16

I have no idea why this even needs to be voted on. Users shouldn't have to manually and constantly monitor and control their cache size!!

murpsel

If the cache was something user-configurable, it could also be much more useful:

I have have a relatively large SD card in my Android phone and plenty of space. It would be great if I could configure the Spotify app to have 10 GB available to keep a copy of any recently streamed music. If that music is then played again, it should not cause any more network traffic. If I play new music and the cache is full, the oldest tracks get over-written. Also - pressing "save" on any cached music should permantly take the cached music out of the cache into permanent storage, not causing any traffic either.

Use case example: you sit at the airport, waiting for your plane and listening to music. You just play some recommended playlist or random tracks, perhaps some new albums. The stream is either over a public wifi or your data plan. Then you board your plane and in the plane - even though you are now offline - you can access not only your permanent offline music, but everything you just listened to (but which you didn't have to bother to actively save).

Ueberdosis

Absolutely a must on modern systems.

Here's an entire thread, with more ideas how to handle the cache situation (started by user @csillaggyujto 😞
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Android-Cache-management/m-p/4363349#M125400

Hope it doesn't take as long for this as it took for the external storage solution...

kraaij

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Android-Cache-management/td-p/4363349

Hi, above mentioned topic went quiet a while ago. Is there a fix for this? I have this problem for a while now. I removed Spotify from my (and my girlfriend's) mobile this weekend because every few weeks it clutters our phones - very annoying and a good reason to abandon Spotify alltogether.

Please help.

celsoft

Since I first complained about so much cache filling up storage, I found how to easily delete cache, though I don't know if the facility to do so was there before or after I posted. Anyway ...

• From Spotify home screen (house icon) choose Settings (cog icon top right corner); scroll down to "Delete Cache" and Presto!
wokkiedokkie

This is by far the most **bleep**ed design flaw in Spotify for Android, and a disgrace that it is still not fixed. The people at Spotify should be ashamed of themselves. Period.

Feribg

This is ridiculous, why is it being actively ignored and is no one at Spotify using an Android device? 😕

Synchronated

The app doesn't actually work once the cache is more than a few GB, to boot. It gorges itself until it can no longer function

michael-jerred

I (and I'm sure many others) are forced to periodically clear the spotify cache - resulting in several GB of unnecessary network traffic to Spotify's servers. This feature would save Spotify bandwidth, make users happy, and should be very easy to implement. Total no brainer!