Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Setting for max Cache Size Allowance

The android version of Spotify currently doesn't have a setting for how much disk space the cache is allowed to take up, so it just keeps getting larger and larger until the entire drive is full. 

A music streaming app should not need several gigabytes of  drive space. Give us the option to cap this - getting real tired of getting told I'm out of disk space and having to manually wipe it.

Updated on 2021-06-07

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
robigouk

This is crazy, every few weeks I have to manually empty the cache because it's making my phone unusable due to no space left.  C'mon Spotify, Deezer has this and they're way behind you in development (or maybe they're not anymore - maybe it's time to move to them?).

mpinkert

This is frankly unacceptable behavior for an App.  I have small enough storage space on my phone as it is and Spotify filled it up with Cache within a week.  

I don't care one bit that you can delete it, I should not have to!  At the very least, I should be able to prevent it from bloating excessively.  No other streaming app I've used has done this.

I am likely going to cancel my Family Premium Subscription and switch to Pandora if this happens a second time, which it sounds like it will.  It's not worth the aggravation or hard drive degradation.

celsoft

My conviction is that Spotify don't want to change the fact that cache is never automatically deleted because it saves them having to invest in more hardware / servers, and pay much bigger electricity bills ! ...

I can't quote statistics but - your average Spotify User (you and me!) has his/her favourite songs/artists/genres etc. Being creatures of habit we listen to more or less the same music again and again, and rarely stray from what we KNOW to be GOOD music - hence we set up our personalised PLAYLISTS, which of course we much prefer to listen to than other "not-so-good stuff". If the music we habitually listen to is cached on our devices, then it doesn't need to be streamed from Spotify servers, but simply played from our devices - thereby reducing I/O contention on Spotify's servers, and saving on 1. extra hardware to keep their servers cool, and 2. electricity bills £££ $$$ €€€.

On reflection maybe this caching instead of streaming is good for the planet??? Spotify's carbon footprint would be a lot bigger if everything was always streamed. Trump does NOT know more than the vast majority of scientists.

PauloJMF
An ever growing storage area can hardly be called a cache... Caches are
size limited by nature...so the musics we listen to the most can replace
the ones we don't listen to often or not that recently... are only taking
up storage for no useful purpose. And If we don't listen them much we don't
need to have them streamed from Spotify servers that much anyway so why
keeping them in the cache? It does little good both to the users and
Spotify...
sevenus

how is this still an issue three years later?!?

asdfasdfasdf123

Finally made the jump to Deezer, set the cache to 500MB. Looking forward to not having my phone run out of space every few days.
Good riddance.

dJani

Up!

I'm honestly surprised about this not being included in Spotify. It seems like such a basic and must-have feature.

Mario
Status changed to: Live Idea

Updated on 2021-06-07

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

robigouk

That's great news especially with Lossless/HIFI coming up - the cache will grow quickly so a max setting would be perfect!

hunboty

pleaseeee make it happen! 🙂