Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Show release's year instead of remastered version's year

When I listen to a song, Spotify shows me the "Remastered Version" year, but this information is not interesting at all.

It would be better to place the actual release year of the song.

For example, listening the remastered version of "The Wall" from Pink Floyd, it shows 2011 as year, and not 1979.

And I would add the release year to every song generally.

Do you agree it would be much better, or am I the only one who wants to know the actual release year of a song I am listening to? 🙂

Edit 21.02.2020: I added a screenshot with my proposal. The year of the song beside name's group and not in song's title.

Screenshot_20200221-081949.jpg

Updated on 2021-06-14

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
wkrzf15eyeyhm47

Just release the REAL version. If it was recorded and released in 1979, 1963, 1950, whatever - play the REAL version. We DON'T want the remastered junk! (caveat: the only reason to remaster any music is if there was a problem with the old recording). It's tough enough for me to listen to digital music rather than analog never mind a remastered version that changes the song for the worse all the more!! It is really a sad place we've come to when we alter music and art.

The Sistine Chapel (and other works of art) have to be restored because they are literally crumbling apart. So we have two choices - let them vanish forever or refinish them. That is not the case with music.

DaniloSP_80

For people who care about those details like me, that is infuruating. We only care about the original release year. Many classic records have been remastered a couple of times over, no need to specify the date when that was done.

laurakoch
100% agree
ThomWim

We should ask the labels to not include "remastered" in their track or album titles.

pit1288

As far as I'm aware, ALL all the information comes from the metadata included in the song/album and Spotify does not change any of that no matter if there's a typo mistake. That's why for example a song title/album title shows all in caps, it's because that artist wants it to be shown that way.

Jacob
Status changed to: Good Suggestion

Updated on 2021-05-20

Your suggestion has at least 180 votes! Keep gathering votes. If this idea gets enough votes, Spotify will check it out and post a status update. You can read more about the idea process here.

Mario
Status changed to: Live Idea

Updated on 2021-06-14

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

DaniloSP_80

I hope it's implemented. This is not only inaccurate details, it also makes the record in question being placed in incorrect order when browsing an artist's discography. We should have this for the sake of order and coherence.

PSUHammer

This is the single most annoying thing with Spotify right now.  Every album is "remastered" and I would much rather have the original names and year.

Please make this a tag and not part of every song name.

PSUHammer

I will add that the inclusion of "Remastered, etc" in each song title is very annoying and makes voice searches not always accurate.  instead of "remastered" in each song title, maybe reserve it to a tag on the album separate from title and name fields.  The release date should be the original album and maybe have a separate reissue date.

This also shows up with remixes, etc.