Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Show release's year instead of remastered version's year

When I listen to a song, Spotify shows me the "Remastered Version" year, but this information is not interesting at all.

It would be better to place the actual release year of the song.

For example, listening the remastered version of "The Wall" from Pink Floyd, it shows 2011 as year, and not 1979.

And I would add the release year to every song generally.

Do you agree it would be much better, or am I the only one who wants to know the actual release year of a song I am listening to? 🙂

Edit 21.02.2020: I added a screenshot with my proposal. The year of the song beside name's group and not in song's title.

Screenshot_20200221-081949.jpg

Updated on 2021-06-14

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
Guido
Status changed to: Up for Votes

Updated on 2020-02-20

Hello and thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange. We've marked this as a new idea.

Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes. More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found: here

Verwolff

100% agree. The whole idea with changing original song titles or albums titles/release year is total mistake. Please keep original release dates because historical order is important in musical evolution for every artist/band. The same should be kept with names. For sure this is not any artist intention to have songs renamed or mixed release order.

Why not to add additional field to a song description, where this kind info would be kept?

vostokvladi

Hello @Guido and thank you for your update. Looking in the already approved ideas, I found this one approved in 2012...
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Implemented-Ideas/Show-original-year-of-album-release/idi-p/2803

I wonder how it was implemented, when I am asking the same thing 8 years later 🙂

Are you going to do something? I think it's important to know the song's year!

Thank you for your great service!

Sennheiser

I fully agree with this idea. The current presentation looks terrible. Information about remastering is little importance and makes the title very very long.

einexile

The remastered version is a new work, and often the original work is ruined. (Looking at you, Carbon Based Lifeforms.) I think the remastered versions should be shunted into an entirely different listing such as you see with singles and compilations, and I'd like to see Spotify fight a little harder to keep the originals available.

I do think the user ought to be able to set whatever year he pleases, and for that matter change or correct any other information when necessary. Plus sometimes the date is just plain wrong, and certainly when the original release has been removed, your instinct to put the original release year is correct. (Also when by some miracle the remastered version isn't worse than the original.)

Meta_Horus

Indeed is very annoying having all this tracks/albums cluttered with a "remastered - xxxx" tag.

I think both titles and year should remain the same as the original, they could indicate if it's a remaster on the "show credits" window, or add a special section when viewing the album that indicates if it is a remaster.

Music2016

Original year released would be cool to know. I have to try and find the original release date myself and it takes away from enjoying the song. If it is the original work, that's even better.

workchristaylor

Or both

Nemralis

I agree with a lot that has been said here! The "Remastered" tags and years also really don't need to be in the album or song title itself, it could be added as background information much like a lot of songs have done when featuring other artists (displayed in a muted gray color beside the title).

daniblues

I always search for the original release date and it's annoying to have different versions of the same album, but that's another point, so I'd like to have at least both dates shown. I.E : Original release: 1987. Version release: 2008.