Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Your Library] Delete Songs from Account History

There should be a way for me to control my history of songs played. Sometimes I accidentally play things I don't want to hear or I try listening to songs I don't like. I should be able to remove them from my history so that my stats are accurate for song and music suggestions. 

Also....My account was hacked and someone played music I would never listen to. I can't delete those songs from my history. I can only remove them from my recently played section. I DON'T LIKE THAT!

I tried to ask a customer service agent to delete the songs, but they said it couldn't be done. Wow! Move to the 21st century, Spotify, and give your customers some more control. Sheesh!

Updated on 2020-05-04

Hi everyone!

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.
We're marking this as a 'Good Idea'.

Please know your feedback is reaching the internal teams at Spotify, and they're aware of the votes around this idea. We'll continue to check out the comments here, too.

If there are any updates, we'll let you know.
Thanks

Comments
beems

I am voting for this, because one of my kids was using my Spotify account instead of theirs all summer long by accident, and now my "Discover Weekly" playlist is full of new rap music, which I absolutely don't want to be recommended to me. Thankfully my "Release Radar" playlist is still good, but my "Discover Weekly" and other suggested music has been severely skewed by my errant listening history. Please let us remove individual artists/songs from our history to fix our suggestions, similar to how Amazon lets you do the same with your product browsing history.

My kid stopped using my account in around September or October, but Spotify is STILL recommended these to me even though I haven't been listening to them in months. 

If it is easier for the developers, I would be happy with just a "Reset My Listening History" function that will wipe out all my history and I'll just build it up from scratch again.

dashlok

The same thing happened to me - My account was hacked and I didn't notice for about 4 days - they played something like 3,000 arabic songs during that period, so guess what my suggestions are flooded with? Yep, a bunch of songs I would never listen to.  It would be helpful if you could delete songs/artists from your recently played or "heavy rotation" lists. 

1Azure

so here is a possible solution i have a lot of favorites to listen to so i went thru and listened to them all nothing else not even the discover list im sure that influences it too that helped change the mind of the programing slowly try that see how it works

yannickm4a

I turned on "Private Session" because I thought that the algorithm would be turned off and that Spotify wouldn't record the songs I was listening to in their database. I then heard 2 audiobooks and now the author is my favourite artist (because the audiobooks were split into 2min "songs")

Not being able to delete or prevent recording the listening history just makes a bad user experience and ends up with false results in 2020 wrapped. Why even care when it's full with wrong artists anyway.

This is the reason I am in the community site.

There's nothing like hating an artist, making the mistake of playing a song from the artist while trying to figure who was the author and and now having it on the family mix forever.

It's great. Not.

hulkstar2017

Spotify  doesnt seem to have an editing action so i wish to close my account what a **bleep** Traversey  !!

The idea of editing a history page seems antithetical to the purpose of a history page -- it's your play history. If you want to curate a list of some kind, why not just create a playlist and manage your listening preferences there and ignore your history? And, if songs you don't care for appear in generated lists because you accidentally listened to a particular song, then just skip.

Thinking about the total labor involved, pressing Skip or building a beautiful playlist seems like a lot less work than trying to manage a history page.

Cambridge_Butch

@rfjason - that would be fine... as long as Spotify didn't allow itself to get HACKED and therefore have some Russian troll farm ruining my play history. 

yannickm4a

No it's not. Why can you edit your browser history or watch history on YouTube or Netflix then?

It's all because it is your data and you should be able to delete it. If you accidentally listen to something it can easily destroy your algorithm, because it seems you like the music you listened to. There are already a lot of people that have told their reasons and all of them made sense, it doesn't matter whether it was about "Spotify Wrapped", an artist you accidentally listened to that now appears non-stop in your list, or the audio book problem.

I don't know about you but my "Discover Weekly" helped me find so many good songs but I really notice when I'm using my Spotify for a party and lots of people put songs in the queue (with different genres I would never listen to) these type of songs appear in my "Discover Weekly". Yeah now you could say "why don't you just click "I don't like the artist". But the questions is why I can't just prevent it my deleting all those tracks I don't like before the algorithm hits again every week.

The generated playlists (with the help of AI) are the key feature why I keep using Spotify over Tidal or Deezer. I get the best results here.

Then it sounds like you're not really angry about the History feature, you're angry that Spotify doesn't fit your use case. I can understand that. I, too, get frustrated that Excel is awful at photo editing. I mean, sure, I could try to use the right tool for my purposes, but I really just like doing everything in Excel, you know?

I suppose you could build out the History feature to make it fully editable ... and then build out the undo feature for people who over-curated their history lists ... and then a copy history to a new playlist button ... and then a ... and then a ... until Spotify has fifty million buttons and only a programmer can figure out what's going on.

If you want to delete your data, then delete your Spotify. If you want to manage a DJ party mode separate from your personal listening habits, then get another account. I just don't know that demanding Spotify arrange itself for your very particular scenarios is the right move.