Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Your Library] Delete Songs from Account History

There should be a way for me to control my history of songs played. Sometimes I accidentally play things I don't want to hear or I try listening to songs I don't like. I should be able to remove them from my history so that my stats are accurate for song and music suggestions. 

Also....My account was hacked and someone played music I would never listen to. I can't delete those songs from my history. I can only remove them from my recently played section. I DON'T LIKE THAT!

I tried to ask a customer service agent to delete the songs, but they said it couldn't be done. Wow! Move to the 21st century, Spotify, and give your customers some more control. Sheesh!

Updated on 2020-05-04

Hi everyone!

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.
We're marking this as a 'Good Idea'.

Please know your feedback is reaching the internal teams at Spotify, and they're aware of the votes around this idea. We'll continue to check out the comments here, too.

If there are any updates, we'll let you know.
Thanks

Comments
Melody
Status changed to: Good idea, vote for it

Updated on 2020-05-04

Hi everyone!

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.
We're marking this as a 'Good Idea'.

Please know your feedback is reaching the internal teams at Spotify, and they're aware of the votes around this idea. We'll continue to check out the comments here, too.

If there are any updates, we'll let you know.
Thanks

suprafer

Amazing!!! I've been following the thread for months!

I really hope the idea comes to life soon. I'm still wishing for this feature. My daily mixes are still filled with instrumental music I use to study.

Keep voting people!!!

I would really appreciate a function like this! I think it would greatly increase the user experience for some of Spotify's most active users who are interested in fine tuning the recommendation algorithm to better fit their taste in music. The current state deals really poorly when your taste in music completely changes in a short amount of time. I still have to deal with recommendations that are quite embarrassing (based on the music that I listened to at least two years ago), just because I did not develope my current taste in music earlier. I keep feeding the algorithm with dislikes and likes in my discover weekly and release radar but is doesn't help at all. Furthermore, I get nothing out my "your favourite song from year x" lists and would be so happy I I could just get rid of them. This feature will make my experience all the better and I really hope you would consider implementing it in the near future. Thanks!

Allonsy_11

I completely agree with this.  It is very often that I find myself in a situation where I see certain songs that I'm curious to listen to, but because they're not within my usual music taste, I hesitate on whether I should play it on Spotify or on some other streaming platform.  Having to constantly worry that every single song I listen to will permanently affect my algorithm has me worrying more about keeping the algorithm as neat as possible instead of not being afraid to experiment listening to new stuff.

Another example of the problem with having no control over our song history, I've had my Spotify account for years.  In fact, I've had this account for approximately fives years now.  Being the first one in my household to have an account, I would let my parents use the same account as me.  Mom oftened listen to gospel-like and/or latin music, whereas my taste relied more in EDM back at the time.  Now when seeing things such as the Spotify Wrap-Up, I get stats displaying that some gospel artists were my favorite artists back in a few years ago.  When this was in fact not the case.

Having more control over our music history, and having this customization affect the way the Spotify algorithm recommends you music would be ideal to make the overall Spotify experience a lot more enjoyable.

djjoulesyjoules

I just want to see recommendations that are based on what I have listened to, not what my 3 year old son has listened to. Please, please, please, please, please.  It's driving me mad.

I was obviously thrilled when my son started to take an early interest in music, and I am delighted that he has developed his own unique tastes. He likes 50s/60s guitar and piano instrumentals and surf music... Russ Conway, The Shadows, Duane Eddy, Beach Boys etc.  I like that stuff too, but I want to see more than this in my recommendations.

It is a testament to Spotify that you've created an app than even a three year old can get to grips with.  Actually he's been using it since he was just two-and-a-half.  It's opened up a world of music for him.  It's fab.

We have a family subscription.  We've got the Spotify Kids app, but he doesn't like that because it's just full of kids music and he doesn't want that. I tried to show it to him and he said he wanted the real Spotify back because he wanted to listen to Telstar by The Tornados.  So proud, obviously... but agghhhh!!!

Yes, we limit his screen/device time and mix it in with books, art, crafts and physical activities.  He's bright, healthy, active and sociable. e's even got his own record player and collection of 7" singles, which he adores.   His parents (me and my wife) are knackered.  We've just got him a 2nd hand iPad, (earlier would have been too soon to have his own device), so we've set him up with both Spotify apps in his own account on that.   So now I'm hoping we can keep his and my recommendations separate going forward.

So now I'd like MY Spotify BACK, please.  I get very occasional, rare moments of peace and quiet, and when those come along, I want to find some new music that is based on my tastes, not his.

I want to reset my recommendations and history and start again.  And I'd also like the option to exclude certain artists and songs from influencing my recommendations too.

budall3

Wouldn’t mind there being a “clean slate” button on this feature too where you can clear ALL your history at once. 

minneth

I hope this will be included in the next update because it’s difficult to find tracks that I actually like after having it mixed with songs that was played by someone else. The function of Discovery playlist is totally ruined by this lack of option to remove such unnecessary tracks

chansophia6

FINALLLY I NEED THIS MY 2015 CRINGY SELF HAD THE WORST MUSIC TASTE EVER and i wanna restart again fresh with a better music taste hehe PLS PLS MAKE THIS COME TRUUUU so i can delete those cringy songs from my history hehe

BeggReamann

Completely agree!

Please also vote for this for more privacy and control: Thank you

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/All-Platforms-Ability-to-clear-last-played-song-from-pre...

AdamDam

I think that this is a great idea, especially for those whose accounts have previously been taken over and have unwanted plays in their listening history. I also think that it would be great to be able to delete plays from one’s listening history that one no longer enjoys listening to. In both cases, this feature could improve Spotify’s recommendations for users.