Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Your Library] Delete Songs from Account History

There should be a way for me to control my history of songs played. Sometimes I accidentally play things I don't want to hear or I try listening to songs I don't like. I should be able to remove them from my history so that my stats are accurate for song and music suggestions. 

Also....My account was hacked and someone played music I would never listen to. I can't delete those songs from my history. I can only remove them from my recently played section. I DON'T LIKE THAT!

I tried to ask a customer service agent to delete the songs, but they said it couldn't be done. Wow! Move to the 21st century, Spotify, and give your customers some more control. Sheesh!

Updated on 2020-05-04

Hi everyone!

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.
We're marking this as a 'Good Idea'.

Please know your feedback is reaching the internal teams at Spotify, and they're aware of the votes around this idea. We'll continue to check out the comments here, too.

If there are any updates, we'll let you know.
Thanks

Comments
Agent420

**bleep**ing Spotify you **bleep**ing dumb **bleep**s why can't I remove recently played from my home page you **bleep**ing cave man

It's been seven months and you still haven't fixed it. I'm tired of seeing the exact**bleep** every time I open spotify just let me **bleep**ing change it.

fourganders

Great idea! I'd love to be able to remove all the songs my ex listened to that I don't care for so they don't show up in my rewind playlists anymore

1Azure

so i have figured out how to reset the playlist suggestions that they send you.....if you have a favorites list of what you normally listen too just play that back for a few days maybe a week that helped a lot back to normal now.....:-)

ChicagoRocker

In my opinion, Spotify's ability to recommend music based on your listening history is a market differentiator. However, if I cannot control what songs/artists/genres go into the algorithm to recommend new music to me, then I cannot trust that I'm getting the recommendations I'm supposed to. Then, I might as well pay for another premium music service that may be cheaper/more convenient for me.

Other reasons Spotify NEEDS to give users the ability to delete songs/artists from their listening history:

1) There are times I play music to please the audience in the room, and it may not be music I would listen to.

2) On smart devices, everyone in the family can play music from my Spotify account, and I don't want those songs in my listening history.

3) I may play tracks for something other than my musical enjoyment, (ie. calm background music for reading, night sounds/songs to help me sleep, comedy albums for a laugh), and I do not want those in my listening history either.

I'm a designer/developer. I KNOW it can't be that hard to enable that ability. And it can be done outside the mechanism that ensures that the artists are getting their proper royalties. 

PLEASE give us this function for our accounts. 

aohayon

Yes this needs to be a feature ASAP for both desktop and mobile. Common. Someone was fooling around with my phone the other day and you should see the songs on there now. Ugh. 

mattml94

Please add this! I sometimes use Spotify on my phone or log into my account on a work device in order to play background music at work (events), often this isn't music I personally like and it always ends up haunting me when I'm listening in my own time.

Back in August I worked on a job with a historical element and ended up using my Spotify to stream a Tudor chamber music compilation for 10 days straight... needless to say it has skewed whatever goes on 'under the hood' ever since. I just saw my '2020 wrapped' today and it's wall to wall lutes and 1500's choirs from that **bleep** compilation (AAAGGHH when will it stop!! lol). All but one of my 'most played 2020' tracks is from that compilation ahah. I have since discovered the 'private session' feature. BUT I really would appreciate a more obvious/easy to access feature like an 'incognito' mode (as suggested elsewhere on this forum) with it's own toggle somewhere quicker to access (and keep a eye on whether its active or has timed out).

However, the damage is already done to my music algorithm! So this suggestion for being able go in and delete things so they don't show up again would be amazing! I would LOVE to EXPUNGE every trace of Greensleeves and the like from my account for GOOD! (please!!)

Thanks spotify team!

Simsöm

There is two similar topics heading into rather the same issue:

1. audio books messing up AI generated content/mixes https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Discover-Exclude-Audiobooks-Podcasts-from-Discover-Playl...

2. situational consumption of music e.g. for meditation, sports etc. messing up AI content/mixes

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Discover-Exclude-selected-Playlists-from-Taste-Profile-a...

please spotify fix this fast or you might be loosing a lot of unsatisfied customers!

GillP

My account was hacked recently and there are loads of tracks and artists on my home page that are definitely not my taste! I really want to delete these but I can't find a way to do it. I think it's really important that users should be able to delete content added to their accounts by unauthorised users so I'm all in favour of this.

Shinkki

Please bring this one back. I upgraded my phone recently and then a relatives phone got smashed so i let her use my old phone. However i forgot to log my spotify out and my entire account is messed up. Somehow even my wrapped claimed my year was about that one song she listened to on repeat for 2 weeks and not the songs i listened to for months T-T it doesn't feel like my spotify any more because i used to manage it so carefully with the myriad of functions you used to give us to do so. 

But every time we get an update, you take features like this off of us and we have to come here and beg for them back.

Please give back our ability to manage our preferences to improve the accuracy of your algorithms and our enjoyment of the app.

jonnyknight

My Tesla doesn't have the ability to switch Spotify users, so my family uses my account and I end up with a bunch of recommendations that I'm not interested in... which stinks because pre-Tesla, my listening was well-curated for many years.