Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Your Library] Increase maximum Songs allowed in Your Music

I feel like the maximum amount of songs allowed in one playlist, and subsequently in "Songs" playlist under the new "Collections" feature, should be more than 10,000.

Quite frankly it should be unlimited. 

We are paying for a service but limited on how many songs we are able to save? That is absurd to me.

I recently started saving all of my albums into "Collections" and got stuck at about 1/4 of the way through - 10,000 songs has been reached and I am no longer able to save any more albums.

PLEASE INCREASE MAX NUMBER OF SONGS IN COLLECTION FEATURE!!!

WHAT IS A COLLECTION IF YOU HAVE TO LIMIT YOUR TASTE???

Updated on 2020-05-26

Hey,

Thanks for coming to the Idea Exchange.

We're excited to be marking this idea as implemented!
We've now removed the limit on saved items in Your Library, making it possible to save songs, and albums on Spotify to your heart's content.

As the app has changed quite a bit since this idea was submitted, please be aware that some functionality is now different. This change does not impact the limit on the number of songs in a playlist other than your Liked Songs.

For more info, check out this blog post.

Comments
mue_

@robigouk

According to an earlier post to this thread by @Asimov, Deezer "has a limit of 1K albums, 1K artists, 1K tracks all separated from each other". He states that he obtained this information from the Deezer support. So, I assume this information is reliable.

I gave an example in an earlier post (https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Increase-maximum-songs-allowed-in-quot-Your-Music-quot/i... It underlines that those limits are effectively not much better than the limit of Spotify. So, essentially, Deezer suffers from the same limitation as Spotify.

Thus, as stated before, I do not see how switching to Deezer really solves the problem. Essentially, you will just hit the limit a few weeks or month later at Deezer. But the main problem persists.

@robigouk, from which source did you obtain the information that there are no limits in combination with the library feature at Deezer?

robigouk

I asked deezer support, they told me only limit is 1k for playlists and that's it (I've also read this elsewhere).

I've not heard of anybody else hitting any limits!  (I know a few of my friends have moved their libraries over and are over 10k).

I will double check with them and come back to you asap

nAAAx

I've also asked Deezer a few days ago..

Kinda dissapointing. But at least they talk to the costumers, and do it nicely.

Limit for Favourite Songs: 1,000 for mobile apps, 2,000 for web

Limit for Favourite Albums: 1,000

Limit for Playlists: 1,000

Limit for Songs in Playlists: 1,000

mue_

Thanks @nAAAx. This supports what @Asimov stated.

So, it seems the support does not always give the same answer to everybody. This reminds me of the Spotify support which initially also did not mention the limit when I silently hit it in the times when there was not yet a notification on hitting the limit.

lukech

"We've recently reviewed this internally and at the moment we don’t have plans to extend the Your Music limit. The reason is because less than 1% of users reach it. The current limit ensures a great experience for 99% of users instead of an "OK" experience for 100%."

Hang on – how does that make sense? Are you inferring that by being strong consumers of music, that in some way allowing us to save more tracks would prove detrimental to the listening experience of that 99%?

This isn't a limited thing, like an ISP throttling bandwidth of prolific users. We'd like a little more than "because you're weird" as justification for the limit – it isn't enough, and it will cost you my susbcription now that I've hit this limit. Apple Music does not impose this limit.

You are arbitrarily punishing your most engaged customers for no valid reason – and that's just plain wrong.

dgm885

Dear Spotify;

This song limit is detrimental to your business model. While only 1% of your user base may hit the 10,000 song limit, this 1% are the passionate listeners. This group (myself included) is VERY UNHAPPY with this policy. I'm telling my friends to avoid Spotify for this reason. This is not smart business.

Asimov

I can absolutely confirm the limits written by @nAAAx. At least, deezer support also told me the exact same things.

Just to give my experience on this, I hit the limit on spotify while I was adding my favourite albums: I was at about 60% of the total with 10k songs added, so I started to migrate everything on deezer: as a matter of fact I was able to add 100% of the albums I needed on deezer, and I'm currently at 650 albums saved, so I have 350 albums to add left by now: as @mue_ correctly stated before, 1K albums are not so much more than 10k songs, but 1k albums are actually making the difference to me right now. I think that we should consider a higher average tracks count per album, since many of them turn out to be big collections, greatest hits, multi-disc collections and so on. This is just to say that maybe the gap between the 2 models is greater than one can think.

drewos555

Update on previous comment: 

I just unsubscribed from my premium account after testing both Tidal and Apple Music. I didn't necessarily view either as vastly superior to Spotify, although both services have curation that blows Spotify away. Ultimately, Spotify's lack of responsiveness on this issue and the availability of other options makes this pretty easy. 

It's dissapointing that when cancelling my subscription Spotify didn't give me an opportunity to explain why I'm leaving - just a multiple choice selection: "Premium didn't contain all the features I want" 

I'll still use Spotify - I just won't pay. 

mue_

@Asimov You are absolutely right in that the actual factor depends on what you actually add to the collection.

For me, personally, it is valid to assume around 14 tracks per album as I mostly add studio albums to my collection across all genres.

But, even if you add mostly compilations and best-ofs, that will anyway not result in a factor 2 to 3 in the allowed number of albums at Deezer compared to Spotify. And I assume, you also want to still keep adding albums to your collection.

I fully understand that this currently makes the difference for you.

But the point I originally wanted to make is that, essentially, Deezer is not really better in this respect by an order of magnitude. Not even in your more or less extreme case. And most music collections of people I know are focused on studio albums, on many, many studio albums.

Thus, an effective limit of, let's say, at least 10K albums would be much more appropriate.

Nonetheless, I agree with the creator of this thread that, in the long run, there should no limit at all.

Asimov

@mue_ I agree, nothing to add: what you say is absolutely reasonable, eventually we can only do some math with averages, but everyone should extrapolate data to decide whether this solution can be nice or not for him.

My strategy, currently, is to stay on deezer while I keep adding albums, with the hope that those limits will be extended in a reasonable term. I will follow both deezer and spotify (I do not want to migrate to google or apple) and keep up to date on this matter in the meanwhile.

I hope that our discussion and informations can help others to make the nicest choice.

Greetings!