Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Your Library] Increase maximum Songs allowed in Your Music

I feel like the maximum amount of songs allowed in one playlist, and subsequently in "Songs" playlist under the new "Collections" feature, should be more than 10,000.

Quite frankly it should be unlimited. 

We are paying for a service but limited on how many songs we are able to save? That is absurd to me.

I recently started saving all of my albums into "Collections" and got stuck at about 1/4 of the way through - 10,000 songs has been reached and I am no longer able to save any more albums.

PLEASE INCREASE MAX NUMBER OF SONGS IN COLLECTION FEATURE!!!

WHAT IS A COLLECTION IF YOU HAVE TO LIMIT YOUR TASTE???

Updated on 2020-05-26

Hey,

Thanks for coming to the Idea Exchange.

We're excited to be marking this idea as implemented!
We've now removed the limit on saved items in Your Library, making it possible to save songs, and albums on Spotify to your heart's content.

As the app has changed quite a bit since this idea was submitted, please be aware that some functionality is now different. This change does not impact the limit on the number of songs in a playlist other than your Liked Songs.

For more info, check out this blog post.

Comments
noidontwantto
"If it hasn't done so by the time my student discount runs out, I'll
probably take my business elsewhere."

If this thread were a college student, it would be a super senior right
now... the parents are probably gonna stop paying for this nonsense soon! 😂

jeyprod

I'm working in the music industry and I'm using Spotify for my personal but also working research. It helps me to classify my 'coup de coeur' and to register the most important album of the year, of the month, of the week.

I'm on Spotify since years, and I've recently reached the 10,000 limits. I was so disapointed by that limit that I'm thinking right now to abandon my account to join Apple Music or any other platform which allow me to register more albums. Why ? Because, thanks to streaming, I keep in touch with old albums and I re-discover some artist with such a pleasure, that I buy a vinyl. We built (I built !) our own archive and I think, for the price and to balance the way you pay artist, we have the right to claim a change right here. We have the right to keep old albums, to listen to them, to forget the new releases for a time and come back old classic we registered fives years ago, for example.

Today we are 1%, yes, but what kind of message did you delivered to the future "1%" when you hint we are not important ? Because we are old users, because we use your service a lot, we don't deserved consideration ?

I don't like your answer and I hope my message will help you to rethink your opinion.

russelljsmith
dannorcia

How will increasing the song limit reduce the quality of service for the other 99% of users? How does it affect them at all? 

Joe03596

Why does Spotify imply that increasing the limit would negatively impact other users? That's a load of garbage, and another sign that Spotify just doesn't care about us.

andrewthecoder

Come on guys, this thread is more 5 years old and has over 10,000 votes - that's a lot of annoyed customers.

I've been a paying customer for 7 years now and lack of good organization functionality is the longest standing disappointment. I got excited when you launched Your Music 5 years ago, only for that excitement to turn into anger and disappointment when I reached the limit a few days into migrating my collection into it...

Surely increasing this artificial limit by a few tens of thousands wouldn't make any difference to the technical requirements to serve the Your Music feature?

It's presumably a simple many to many database relationship we're talking about here, it's hardly a large amount of data.

I've been upset by this patronising "Epic collection, friend" error message for years now, and it just doesn't seem reasonable that this should have taken you 5 years to fix. It upsets me a few times every week, every time I discover a new artist I like!

Please, raise the limit to a sensible number like your competitors have already!

drunkenpumpkin

#google1k is pretty ordinary too, but at least they allow a larger library capacity

If you're like me, however, and like to listen to a lot of music on shuffle, a #1k playlist limit is horrible.  #10k is still terrible given - as many have pointed out - it was 10k ~5 years ago

A lot of us keep going around and round in circles, repeating the same information but we need to keep pushing the envelope that the limit is inadequate

Not to mention spotify's terrible shuffle algorithms when casting/using a third-party app such as androidTV (it loves to shuffle from a small sub-set of a playlist).  I feel the latter point needs addressing just as much as the #spotify10k

https://bit.ly/2UuHcKr

(The above is link the other thread, but for some reason spotify forums do not allow posting to other threads

Keep posting with the hashtag anywhere you can ❤️

gr33nmind

I don't know if Spotify realize this, but limiting maximum songs, might actually create more data usage on their end. I have 3 10,000 starred playlists, & one 3069 song playlist. Whenever a find music, I like I will add it to playlist # 4 because the other 3 or full. Anyway occasionally I make mistake, and will add a song that I've already added, and Spotify alerts me of this. Unfortunately if the song is in one of the other 4 playlists it won't. I've made ths mistake more then one time, and this is only in a 9 month 3000 song playlist. I'm sure if I've made the mistake recently, I've also forgotten songs I've placed in the their 3 playlists over the past 5 years. I am only one power user. How many power users do you have? Only guess, but if you have 191 million users, one percent is around 19 million. You 'claim' it's less, so I'll guess 10 mllion. This is only a guss, but power users with several ten tousand song playlists probably have at least a 100 dups. Please explain how having your servers have possibly 100 or more duplicate songs,  for ten milion power users, or 100 milion duplicates helps you in ayway.

hallflukai

Just chiming in here since Spotify's Twitter account links me to this thread every time I get angry and tweet something about how frustrating the 10k library limit is.

I hit the 10k limit a year ago, found out there was no reasonable way to bypass it, and immediatly took my business over to Google Play Music. For anybody else that finds this thread, GPM has a 30k song limit instead of Spotify's 10k limit. When people ask me why I changed away from Spotify I tell them that GPM doesn't have a laughably low limit and try to talk them into changing.

Plus, GPM has the bonus of also counting as a YouTube premium account!

I would much rather be using Spotify though. All of the user experience is better --the search, the recommendations, the general navigation-- but the library limit is just an unacceptable road block to using the app the way I want to that I can't bring myself to use it as long as that limit in place.

Again, to anybody that comes here frustrated, GPM has a much higher song limit! Come to the dark side!

drunkenpumpkin

@hallflukai wrote:

Just chiming in here since Spotify's Twitter account links me to this thread every time I get angry and tweet something about how frustrating the 10k library limit is.

I hit the 10k limit a year ago, found out there was no reasonable way to bypass it, and immediatly took my business over to Google Play Music. For anybody else that finds this thread, GPM has a 30k song limit instead of Spotify's 10k limit. When people ask me why I changed away from Spotify I tell them that GPM doesn't have a laughably low limit and try to talk them into changing.

Plus, GPM has the bonus of also counting as a YouTube premium account!

I would much rather be using Spotify though. All of the user experience is better --the search, the recommendations, the general navigation-- but the library limit is just an unacceptable road block to using the app the way I want to that I can't bring myself to use it as long as that limit in place.

Again, to anybody that comes here frustrated, GPM has a much higher song limit! Come to the dark side!

All well and good but GPM only has a 1,000 song limit per playlist....

I moved my library over and had playlists with 9 or 10 parts. No thanks.