Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Music] Tag Music

It'd be awesome to be able to add my own tags to all of my songs in playlists, so I can easily and specifically sort my songs how I like.

Should be a pretty simple tool to implement.

Thanks

Updated on 2018-10-05

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your vote to this idea!

We're keeping this idea as 'Not Right Now', as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to implement. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

If we do have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

Thanks.

Comments
meahtenoha
Status changed to: Not Right Now
Updated: 2016-03-29

Hey everyone, currently we don't have plans for this in our timeline. However, if this continues to grow we will keep passing this feedback on to our internal teams. Thank you for coming to the Idea Exchange with your feedback!

bestknighter

This would be soooooooo hepful for me. Instead of having dozens of playlists, I would have a couple of them and play them based on tags.

Example of what I would do:

Instead of having the playlists "Pop", "Rock", "Instrumental", "Jazz", "90s", "Irish", "American", "French", "German", "Korean", "Irish Pop", "Irish Rock", "Irish Instrumental", and so on for every possible combination, I would have only one playlist, e.g. "My Songs", with all songs and each one with several tags. So, if I wanted to hear "French Jazz" I would open this playlist, filter by the tag "french" AND "jazz"  and then click a button to add all the resulting songs to the play queue.

windelwetter

This would be an awesome awesome feature. You could search for tags like happy or sad....it would improve the whole spotify social thing so much. Please do it..I mean why not? its not that complicated. Some players or the windows explorer had this >10 years ago!

iluvitar

Please for the love of God do this!  There is currently no streaming service that allows this.  Just a simple tagging feature like GMail's "Labels" feature would be amazing.  Here's my idea for the user stories on this:

As a User

I want to be able to add tags to songs

So that I can include custom information like "160bpm" or "Mood: Happy".

As a User

I want to be able to organize my tags in a hierarchy

So that I can load up any of the following playlists, depending on what I'm feeling:
- "Swingable"

- "Swingable > Traditional"

- "Swingable > Modern"

- "Swingable > Traditional > Fast"

and so on.

As a Listener

I want to be able to use the tags I've added to songs as playlists

So that I can quickly and easily start up a playlist with exactly the kind of music I want.

Hell, I'd be happy to implement this for you or pay extra for a feature like this, and I'm already paying for Spotify's awesome Premium package.

atrakaz
  1. I would really like to have my own tag system that I can control myself. This could enable one to make playlists that include certain tags, but exclude others. It could look like this (if you are willing to take it this far, Spotify):

One example playlist that include the result of three "tag arguments":
    • with("dubstep") without("hardcore")
    • with("pop"), with("good")
    • with("Jazz"), without("jam"(without("good"))
  2. A general, public searchable tag system for Spotify would also be nice. This system can be made by the power of the community:
    1. By letting users use "standard tags" when they tag music, then many enough use the same tag for a song, the tag can be added "automatically" to the song by Spotify algorithms.
    2. Users could also "vote down"/report tags that does not fit the song.

I have made a spotify script that produce playlists based on what I have added to other playlists. This enables me to add songs to "tag-playlists" instead of adding a tag to the song, but a tag solution would be a lot easier, effective and elegant.

Jtech13

I agree.  Tags would be awesome.  Especially now that we can sort music into folders.  It would make our ability to sort and play music very powerful.  e.g. If you are like me you like to organize your music by Genre, but sometimes you don't want to listen to a whole genre, just the fast stuff in that genre.  The problem with this is you would have to create thousands of playlists in order to achieve granularity based on emotion (mood), speed and style of music.  If you could just tag music and then play music from a certain folder that has the tag(s) you are after it would be amazing!

davidyork

As my original post on this has now become inactive, i wanted to raise the idea again for improving the way Your Music can be used.

At present the Albums section of Your Music is a vast sea of different types of music. I want to be able to go to albums and pick what to listed to without having to scroll through everything. So, how about allowing us a way of searching within our saved albums. One way to do this would be to allow us to search for tags which we can give to albums when we save them.

So, for example, when i save an album like "The Lord of the Rings - Return of the King", I could give it a "soundtrack" tag or perhaps a "background music" tag or "Shore" tag etc or several of these.

I really think a lot more could be made of the Albums section, and this is one possible way to do it.

D.

PS this was my original post (but please vote for this one, not the original one as it is inactive):

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Your-Music-Grouping-or-Sorting-by-Tags/idi-p/744947

blake
Status changed to: Up for Votes
Updated: 2016-05-12

Marked as new idea. This is a repost of the following inactive idea.

blake

Hi @davidyork, I like this idea a lot, and would love to see it implemented. 🙂

Humpelmutz

I think you are just right!. I have a Rock-playlist and sometimes I would like to play only certain songs without creating a new playlist.

How about if we could put tags on our songs. Let's take Metallica - One as an example. I would put these tags on the song. "Top 50", "Heavy-Rock" and "sad".

Now there should be a button like "Create temporary Playlist". After pressing it you just click on the tags you want to be played and after that there should be an option like "Do not include..(tag)". Now it just creates a temporary playlist with the parameters you set. Would be awesome for the mobile version also.

Kind regards 🙂