Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] "Don't Like Button" should be added to all sections

Hello everyone,

I am not sure why it keeps changing between updates, although in the past Daily Mixes have the Like & Dislike button. But this time around it has been completely removed and is only available Under Your Weekly Discovery.

It would be nice if the "Don't Like Button" was added everywhere, from Weekly Discovery, Daily Mixes, even when searching specific songs, albums, genres etc. to better filter our music preferences.

Also I find on Android on the drop down menu the Don't like button rarely ever works and have to enter the app directly. Like always works perfectly fine.

I would appreciate it if this could be considered.

Thank you

Updated on 2020-05-04

Hi everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.
We're marking this as a 'Good Idea'.

Please know your feedback is reaching the internal teams at Spotify, and they're aware of the votes around this idea. We'll continue to check out the comments here, too.

If there are any updates, we'll let you know.
Thanks

Comments
binhidin
Yeah man if enough of us keep this thread at the top for the next 12 months
they gonna sort it so folks get to read something else xD

A dislike / never play button seems like an excessively toxic feature to me. If you roll your eyes and mumble every time a band you dislike shows up on a generated playlist, then the problem is you, not the lack of a hate button. Maybe it's time to re-assess how you think about artists and how you judge their contribution to the music scene. For example, what if your ban button eventually reveals a race or gender bias in your listening habits? Are you sure you want to know that about yourself? Are you sure you want Spotify to know that about you? Further, what if an artist shifts styles in their career? Maybe you hated The Thin White Duke, but are you really going to ban him and miss out on Spade Oddity or Culture Vulture? Spotify is about opening your mind to new musical experiences, not closing yourself off. As far as banning certain individual songs ... maybe? It still seems like a toxic feature.

Now, if your concern is exposure to songs or artists who are genuinely toxic themselves, then appropriate filter features should absolutely exist. For example, people who were traumatized by a sexual assault should not have to be on constant guard against that Robin Thicke song. But, banning Bieber just because you have a personal dislike of him is probably not the best reason to feature a ban button.

doctorbobster

This issue is simple: increasing exposure to music that I am likely to enjoy and reducing exposure to music I am inclined to dislike.  The availability/use of a dislike button is not about "how [I] judge their contribution to the music scene," but how the artist appeals to me.  Me me me.  Me.  Pandora, IMHO, does a much better job in this regard.

I do have genre and gender biases which Spotify has picked up on.  If Spotify discerns another form of bias and chooses to blackmail me with it at a later time, I'll fall off that bridge at the time.

Yeah, I'm not sold on the idea. A dislike button, by definition, cannot increase exposure to new music -- it can only create more slots for the same old same old.

This is why radio stations that play a rotation of the newest hits always enjoy the biggest market share. New music, even if it's from a genre or artist you think you do not like, leads to more enjoyment (and thus more listeners, thus more revenue.) Keeping the gates open to new music is all about serving you. You you you. You.

Pandora is nice, but it's not exactly known as a hot destination for music fans, now is it? There's a reason -- it's too easy to configure Pandora as an oldies station -- only the songs you like, only from the era you like. If you want a curated time capsule, then it sounds like Pandora is for you. Me? I live for the now, man!

Now, if you want a constant stream of "more of the same" then I'll get to work on an AI that listens to your playlist and then generates original audio based on what it hears. Just imagine loading up every Weezer (pre-Pinkerton?) song and having it spit out a new single every few days. Click Like!

All kidding aside, I don't know that Spotify is best served by introducing feature designed to take away from the new music experience. It's not a great business model for them, and it's not a mentally healthy model for you and me.

Benmilliron

Please bring back the dislike buttons.  This is a critical feature especially for advanced users.  

slin2552

I don't know if Spotify is trying to be like Facebook, where they try to keep an atmosphere of fake positivity by not including a dislike button, or if this is just a huge oversight. If it's an oversight, it's a really egregious one not to include some sort of negative preference indication for the user on a platform meant to curate music specifically for that user.

Mquartz
I think they just don't care what we think!
So yes I guess you are right, they are no better than FB.
U-Tube music is pretty good though!

krisleduff

Why was the dislike button removed in the latest update? Now you have to blindly remove a song from the Discover Weekly before listening to it. It does not make sense if you don't know the artist and/or song. It's called Discover, right? And the songs I removed from an artist radio keep on coming back. This is ridiculous. Spotify is supposed to have smart algos to tailor the listener taste, but this is really spoiling it. Please bring back the dislike button and even better, add it everywhere. Thanks for "listening".

saisrivathsa

Any update on this? It is very frustrating to use daily mixes without dislike buttons

Melody
Status changed to: Good idea, vote for it

Updated on 2020-05-04

Hi everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.
We're marking this as a 'Good Idea'.

Please know your feedback is reaching the internal teams at Spotify, and they're aware of the votes around this idea. We'll continue to check out the comments here, too.

If there are any updates, we'll let you know.
Thanks