Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Amazon Alexa] Swap Spotify accounts without changing Alexa account

I have a Spotify Family account for myself and my wife

I have an alexa unit in every room, every unit is using MY amazon account as all the lights and home automation can only be setup on one Amazon account

I want to play Spotify in the room i’m in

My wife wants to play her music in a different room

Both myself and my wife also want to use the home automation whilst playing music, eg, turning on the lights

This can be done using Apple music and Amazon music but Spotify require to swap to a different spotify account for the other person

To swap to a different spotify account means changing the Alexa profile of the alexa device and then all the home automation no longer works from that device. 

Please can you allow both myself and my wife to play music in different rooms WITHOUT having to change the Amazon Alexa account

It would be great if I could say ‘Alexa, play spotify from Trevors account’ and my wife could say in a different room, at the same time, ‘Alexa, play spotify from Jackie’s account’ 

This is not a duplicate of other suggestions, I’ve checked and anything close was raised before the ability to swap alexa accounts was implemented. Swapping alexa accounts is only a work around and is not a solution to this problem.

Many people want this feature and your chat team said I should raise it here

Here is a link to the forum, lots of people are leaving spotify because only spotify do not support this feature, you guys need to catch up

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Premium-for-Family/FAMILY-AND-ECHO-ALEXA/m-p/4900618#M26242

From my research it seems there is talk about Spotify only has one concurrent music stream whereas Apple and Amazon music have multiple streams, but please can you improve on this, the thread above was started over 18 months ago, something should be done to improve on this issue

Again, please don’t write this off as a duplicate and do nothing/say it relates to a 3rd party, people still want this feature

Thanks

Trevor Rowe

19/2/2021

Folks, just a quick update on this.

Spotify say this

The Community team talks with various other Spotify teams several times a month about ideas with over 500 votes (our criteria for being a top idea). It’s from these meetings that we apply one of the following statuses to each idea….

This idea has reached over 500 votes so I asked on chat for timescales/what will happen next and was told to keep an eye on this thread.

That really sounded open ended!

As the person on chat could only deal with app and account queries, I was told to also contact the support team to get action on this

So as well as voting for this issue (please continue), 

Spotify need to keep up with Apple and Amazon and fix this issue - with your help we might just get this solved!

Updated on 2021-06-15

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
beastpilot

Having a smart device match your voice to an account doesn't work for all use cases. It still means that if I start music in one room and then go to another and ask for music it stops in the first room. It also doesn't solve the use case where you have something like two cars and only one can play at a time.

Ideally, we should have both voice matching and multiple streams on one account. One of these is a Spotify issue and one is not, and this is a Spotify forum. 

mac40

Recently became a spotify user but this is driving us demented.  Alexa devices all connected under one account which is how we want them set up but then we have this issue of cutting each other off.  Thought upgrading to family plan would resolve it but reading the thread seems like that's not the case.  Conclusion leave spotify after the trial ends.  Not good.

kittenmcnugget

Yes please.

Captrik787

I’ve been waiting on this issue to be fixed for years not holding my breath. I think I’ll just use Apple Music until it’s fixed.

juhajonathan

I was thinking of changing to Google Home because this issue also annoys me and Google Assistant even recognizes the voice and automatically plays from each person’s account. I guess it’s just cheaper to switch to Apple Music.

There is a similar request on the Idea Board that articulately explains that Amazon's API already allows Alexa skills developers to access user voice profiles.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Amazon-Alexa-One-Spotify-Account-per-Alexa-Voice-Profi...

So, at this point this is purely Spotify dragging their feet in implementing a very basic functionality. Please get on this team Spotify! It's 2021 and many of your users are still stuck at home with a family full of people using smart speakers trying to play music from their respective Spotify accounts. There is no reason for this not to be fixed.

Jacob
Status changed to: Good Suggestion

Updated on 2021-05-20

Your suggestion has at least 180 votes in 6 months! Keep gathering votes. If this idea gets enough votes, Spotify will check it out and post a status update. You can read more about the idea process here.

DAUNIRAM

Sorry, but I don't take the last comment seriosly.

As the idea is available a long time already .

Here is the same idea from 2016: with +1500 votes

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Amazon-Echo-Play-multiple-Speakers-at-the-same-Time/idi-...

But it doesn't help. Spotify is not interested to fix this issues for the last five years.

This is very sad.

I also just bought 6 Amazon Echo devices and we can't use Spotify Family or more than one Spotify Account. 

hsclater

This is driving us bonkers too. We pay for a family subscription and can’t even play Spotify around the house. It ends up with us battling for songs, my wife getting annoyed as Alexa has stopped for no apparent reason, so we say play and suddenly the song changes to Mohanna or something. Absolute nightmare and making we want to leave. 

mac40

Further to my previous comment, even more annoying than when you're in the house is when you're driving and the music either vanishes or changes to something the kids have selected and without pulling over you can't sort it.  Please Spotify sort this out!  Free trial ends in a month, clock ticking.....  Although from the length of time this thread has been going on I'm not holding out much hope.