Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Amazon Alexa] Swap Spotify accounts without changing Alexa account

I have a Spotify Family account for myself and my wife

I have an alexa unit in every room, every unit is using MY amazon account as all the lights and home automation can only be setup on one Amazon account

I want to play Spotify in the room i’m in

My wife wants to play her music in a different room

Both myself and my wife also want to use the home automation whilst playing music, eg, turning on the lights

This can be done using Apple music and Amazon music but Spotify require to swap to a different spotify account for the other person

To swap to a different spotify account means changing the Alexa profile of the alexa device and then all the home automation no longer works from that device. 

Please can you allow both myself and my wife to play music in different rooms WITHOUT having to change the Amazon Alexa account

It would be great if I could say ‘Alexa, play spotify from Trevors account’ and my wife could say in a different room, at the same time, ‘Alexa, play spotify from Jackie’s account’ 

This is not a duplicate of other suggestions, I’ve checked and anything close was raised before the ability to swap alexa accounts was implemented. Swapping alexa accounts is only a work around and is not a solution to this problem.

Many people want this feature and your chat team said I should raise it here

Here is a link to the forum, lots of people are leaving spotify because only spotify do not support this feature, you guys need to catch up

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Premium-for-Family/FAMILY-AND-ECHO-ALEXA/m-p/4900618#M26242

From my research it seems there is talk about Spotify only has one concurrent music stream whereas Apple and Amazon music have multiple streams, but please can you improve on this, the thread above was started over 18 months ago, something should be done to improve on this issue

Again, please don’t write this off as a duplicate and do nothing/say it relates to a 3rd party, people still want this feature

Thanks

Trevor Rowe

19/2/2021

Folks, just a quick update on this.

Spotify say this

The Community team talks with various other Spotify teams several times a month about ideas with over 500 votes (our criteria for being a top idea). It’s from these meetings that we apply one of the following statuses to each idea….

This idea has reached over 500 votes so I asked on chat for timescales/what will happen next and was told to keep an eye on this thread.

That really sounded open ended!

As the person on chat could only deal with app and account queries, I was told to also contact the support team to get action on this

So as well as voting for this issue (please continue), 

Spotify need to keep up with Apple and Amazon and fix this issue - with your help we might just get this solved!

Updated on 2021-06-15

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
Mihail
Status changed to: Live Idea

Updated on 2021-06-15

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

juhajonathan

Only reason why I’m leaving Spotify now is because of this. Easier to change to Apple Music than to change all my smart home devices to Google Assistant where this ISN’T a problem. My friends have Google products and they identify their voice and play from each person’s Spotify account without having to specify who is talking. No idea why the same functionality isn’t here for Alexa devices. 

btrm

Would love to support Spotify instead of Amazon but this is a deal-breaker in our household as well! You fix this, we come back.

btrm

As someone who works professionally in Agile tech companies, the amount of effort the community here has had to put in to get any product manager response is extremely disappointing.  A 500 person minimum vote will greatly diminish good feature suggestions, because you are depending on just the vocal minority instead of the many who have likely left Spotify thanks to the lack of this feature without saying anything.

User647

I really would like to continue using Spotify as we just purchased a bunch of Alexa devices for our family of four.  The notion that even if we have the family plan, we cannot somehow all play different music at the same time is upsetting.  In addition to a family plan where you have 6 separate accounts, can't you just make it so we can stream on 6 devices at the same time?  Every other streaming platform operates on this model.  I am seriously considering cancelling Spotify in favor of Amazon Music do to this, please fix this!

sdmcgeown

This is a must-have feature. I was so sad to see the unwillingness of Spotify to truly listen to their actual paying customers in asking for a solution to what is obviously a major feature gap.

When I signed up, I had no idea this limitation would present itself. I paid for the premium family service and naively assumed it would work nicely across my various smart speakers (Echo dots and Sonos) throughout the house. My kids could play their music, my wife hers, and I could listen to mine all in parallel. When I realized I could not actually do this, I thought I must have been doing something wrong or stupid; yet all along, I see there are hundreds of other Spotify users expressing the same frustration as I am.

How appalling that Spotify try to placate people with pathetic workarounds and ask for a vote on what should have been one of the key features on their first product roadmap. You clearly have no ability to 'read the room' until you see customers leaving in droves. But I guess if you get enough new customers to offset those who are disillusioned, that's all that matters? I bet it is.

yet_another_nam

I had a Family Plan and cancelled my service because of this problem (lack of feature). It is very frustrating to be listening to Spotify in my car or different room in the house, and have my session cancelled because someone at home requested a song via Alexa.

I've considered work-arounds to this problem by allocating one of the 6 family accounts to be assigned to Alexa, but this breaks many other great features (like Connect to a device to control playback from my phone).

malkut

Same for me. I'm considering getting a family account and I would even consider paying the higher price of Spotify. But with Alexa in almost every room I want everyone to be able to listen to their own music in a simple way. I like Spotify playlists. Usability in the house is not where it should be and it is a show stopper. I don't want to have to use my mobile phone to play music when I can simply ask Alexa. My kids don't have a mobile device but they still like music. Alexa is capable of recognising people ... this might be a lead to a solution.

fily1212

I will not renew my spotify subscription if they don't implement this. I prefer to spend the same amount in Amazon Music Family.

Spot1fyGoody

Here is my detailed use case related to this request. It's disappointing that Spotify hasn't fixed this by now.

Premium Family, Spotify Kids, and Multiple Echo an... - The Spotify Community