Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Amazon Echo] Play multiple Speakers at the same Time

I recently got six(6) of the 2nd gen Amazon Echo Dots and placed them everywhere in my home. And I realized the policy of Spotify that is limiting to only one device to play music at the same time bothers me a lot when I set Spotify as a default music libary. For example, if one of my family members asks one of Echo Dots in his/her room to play music A, then music B on another Echo Dot I'm listening to stops playing.

I know there is Spotify Family Plan but my kids can't join that because they are just young and they don't have any email account yet. And also I don't want to create an account for them yet.

I believe Spotify could make possible to play the same music over multiple Echo Dots under the same network at the same time somehow even while it's not possible to play music on other multiple devices. Maybe by verifying some factors like if it's for Amazon Echo Dots under the same network under the same account.

Updated on 2018-12-06

Hey folks, Spotify staff here.

We wanted to post an update as this idea has reached over 500 votes from our users.

We’re always working on improving the Spotify experience across platforms, but we’re afraid we don’t have any further information to share at the moment.

We typically don't announce integrations with third parties in advance. The best place to keep an eye on is our blog for news updates about any such partnerships.

Thanks for continuing to share your ideas and give us feedback in our Idea Exchange.

Comments
Marco
Status changed to: Up for Votes
Updated: 2016-10-24

Marked as new idea and edited the title slightly to make it easier to find via search. 😉

xoundbox

Thanks @Marco!

dkarstedt

I will second this, please let this happen

s_amu

I would love tho see this not only for Amazon Eco, but in general. For example to use the Laptop and the Phone plugged in in the living room and in the kitchen at the same time with the same music

crematedman

must have! added my vote ^_^

BGK123

This has been a bit of a household music wars joke for us. Thought paying up for a family play would resolve, seems straightforward, but no dice. Any time the kids try to play music on a dot it kicks my sonos off line. 

How could this be expected/designed behavior? Amazon was no help, and the depths of Google has not provided a phone number for Spotify to tell me how to properly configure something that should be so simple to use... It's all freaking connected - seems that's the root of the problem unfortunately. 

Longing for the simpler days of Napster. Perhaps Amazon Prime Music will fix their catalog before Spotify fixes this. 

nitramwin

This is a great idea and would be very useful to play music simultaneously on two setups in different parts of the house. 

jedundon

I just canceled my Spotify subscription due to this. We have a handfull of Echo Dots and our main Echo and, even on Family plan, we cannot have Spotify playing in different rooms at the same time. The only way to do it is to assign each Echo to a different Amazon/Spotify account, which is not desired.

For what it's worth, the new Amazon Music Unlimited Family plan works the way we want it to -- I just confirmed this weekend. I'd rather have Spotify for the Roku and Google support, but this will do for now.

sspotts

I just upgraded to family plan because my kids now both have Echo Dots in their rooms, in addition to the one on our kitchen.  But as kids they don't have their own Amazon accounts (Amazon household doesn't allow accounts for kids) so I can't use the silly Spotify family mechanism.

Why not just allow a specific number of devices that can concurrently play their own music? Why force us to have email accounts for children?

nitramwin

At home, we have several sound systems with chromecast. Bundling these all to play together at the same time would be amazing. Perhaps your Sonos partner is stopping you from doing this? 😉