Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Amazon Echo] Play multiple Speakers at the same Time

I recently got six(6) of the 2nd gen Amazon Echo Dots and placed them everywhere in my home. And I realized the policy of Spotify that is limiting to only one device to play music at the same time bothers me a lot when I set Spotify as a default music libary. For example, if one of my family members asks one of Echo Dots in his/her room to play music A, then music B on another Echo Dot I'm listening to stops playing.

I know there is Spotify Family Plan but my kids can't join that because they are just young and they don't have any email account yet. And also I don't want to create an account for them yet.

I believe Spotify could make possible to play the same music over multiple Echo Dots under the same network at the same time somehow even while it's not possible to play music on other multiple devices. Maybe by verifying some factors like if it's for Amazon Echo Dots under the same network under the same account.

Updated on 2018-12-06

Hey folks, Spotify staff here.

We wanted to post an update as this idea has reached over 500 votes from our users.

We’re always working on improving the Spotify experience across platforms, but we’re afraid we don’t have any further information to share at the moment.

We typically don't announce integrations with third parties in advance. The best place to keep an eye on is our blog for news updates about any such partnerships.

Thanks for continuing to share your ideas and give us feedback in our Idea Exchange.

Comments
Stephan78

I switched to Amazon Music to use the funtionality. I would love to return to spotify. Just implement this feature, please!

So, I have recently purchased a number of echoes and placed them in multiple rooms around the house.  As echo has no support for Apple Music, I decided to migrate away and take up a family plan with Spotify - which is no mean feet!

i absolutely love Spotify, multi room music works like a dream apart from the major flaw that everyone is talking about.  I was in the bath the other day listening to some tunes on my phone when the music suddenly stopped - because my partner decided to play some (awful) music in the bedroom!

this is utterly ridiculous and surely Spotify can’t be that stubborn to not even give a valid reason as to why they won’t change this model?

i must say that I might have to consider migrating AGAIN to amazon music to achieve this level of basic functionality.

cesiumdeth

My Amazon Music subscription for the year is expiring and I decided to switch to Spotify for the coming year.  I have 5 Echos in the house and ran into this issue multiple times the first day.  I just signed up for the Spotify Family plan, but plan to cancel it and go back to Amazon Music at the end of the month.  This is rediculous.  If the Family plan can have up to six accounts you should instead say up to six STREAMS and let us allocate the streams however we want using up to six accounts.  For example, I'd love to allocate 5 simultaneous streams to one "House" account to support my 5 Echos, then have a second "Phone" account with 1 stream assigned for listening on my phone (for a total of 6 streams).

I'm not sure if you guys noticed but smart speakers are kinda' a thing in 2019, you might want to get with the times - there are lots of other choices fortunately.  I'll come back and try your service again when you come to your senses  

Kemkris

I left Spotify for a while in favour of amazon music due to this issue and my kids wouldnt stop complaining. Amazon Music app is just worse and while the quaility of audio is lower. We have come back to Spotify but my kids can’t use their echos to control the music and instead have to have their phones connected to their speakers to listen independently...please fix this! Gotta be a way to register each family member to Alexa somehow??

B3NS

This is really a deal breaker for me. I have the same scenario with 2 children each with echo dot in their room so that they can listen to music independently. I am going to have to leave Spotify to find a solution that works for us. Shame.

MrQueman

Open issue since 2016???

I think I will turn to Amazon Music...

mmessina617

how about something in the Echo Dot device name that mirrors the individual account on the family plan?  

we're nearly to the year 2020.  I know you're enjoying your ARR (annual recurring revenue), but stop wasting time on some feature that nobody has asked for yet and pay attention this 2+ year old problem that has 500+ people squaking on here.   Surely there's some order of magnitude(s) more of your customers who are annoyed but haven't bothered to voice in on these forums.

Get mildly creative and come up with a fix.

Sirdrinkalot

I agree. Spotify will lose people to Amazon Music if this isn't addressed. I am in the same scenario, my children would like to listen to their music at the same time without affecting mine. If this can't be done, than I will be switching to Amazon too I'm afraid. Sorry Spotify, but this will only get worse.....

jkahsen

This issue caused so much drama in our house. Finally canceled Spotify and signed up for Amazon family unlimited. It’s been life changing. No more fights over “stealing” Spotify on our echo devices. Amazon does it right. They limit it to a specific number of concurrent streams.

Take note Spotify!  

craigatkinson

I've been in and out of Spotify for a while. I doubt this is solely a spotify issue, however I will be signing up to Amazon family music for the reasons above. I prefer Spotify UI on mac and phone but if it doesn't work a UI is meaningless.