Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Amazon Echo] Play multiple Speakers at the same Time

I recently got six(6) of the 2nd gen Amazon Echo Dots and placed them everywhere in my home. And I realized the policy of Spotify that is limiting to only one device to play music at the same time bothers me a lot when I set Spotify as a default music libary. For example, if one of my family members asks one of Echo Dots in his/her room to play music A, then music B on another Echo Dot I'm listening to stops playing.

I know there is Spotify Family Plan but my kids can't join that because they are just young and they don't have any email account yet. And also I don't want to create an account for them yet.

I believe Spotify could make possible to play the same music over multiple Echo Dots under the same network at the same time somehow even while it's not possible to play music on other multiple devices. Maybe by verifying some factors like if it's for Amazon Echo Dots under the same network under the same account.

Updated on 2018-12-06

Hey folks, Spotify staff here.

We wanted to post an update as this idea has reached over 500 votes from our users.

We’re always working on improving the Spotify experience across platforms, but we’re afraid we don’t have any further information to share at the moment.

We typically don't announce integrations with third parties in advance. The best place to keep an eye on is our blog for news updates about any such partnerships.

Thanks for continuing to share your ideas and give us feedback in our Idea Exchange.

Comments
mataroo

2016 and 1000+ votes .    Niceeee.

SamBGB

I've been contemplating a switch back to Spotify but its on the back burner until this issue has been addressed correctly. Its a ridiculous limitation in this age with multiple devices.

arzerarzain

I am currently using Amazon Music as an alternative streaming service.  Their family plan allows you to stream up to 6 times concurrently from different echo devices on the same Amazon profile.  Come on Spotify! You're losing customers based on your current architecture limitations!

realriot

Since I left spotify due to this limitation I was full of hope that this major bug has been fixed/addressed. I was wrong... This limitation still exists and makes the family plan useless within my household...

Amazon Music and Apple Music allow up to 6 parallel streaming-devices within one account.

jeproca

2020 and same story. Got a Spotify Premium account and two Echo devices. 2 users can't listen to different music at the same time. Any solution available today?

jkahsen
Amazon music unlimited, family plan. Changed 6 months ago and not looking
back. Works great and we haven’t had any issues since.
Kemkris
My solution has been to just get everyone to use our phones/bluetooth and
treat the echo like any other bluetooth speaker. It sucks, but so does
amazon music.

Nlaughton
Spotify family account. Slightly more $ but fixes the problem. Plus you get
a total of 5 accounts.

Make a second Alexa account and link the other person’s Spotify to the new
account. (They’ll need to download a copy of the Alexa app.) Then you can
just say “Alexa whose account is this?” or “Alexa switch accounts” and play
from there.
jeproca

Tks chaps. Will use the Echoes as dumb bluetooth speakers as far as Spotify is concerned and end of story. Shame on Spotify though  for having this crappy subject spinning around and around since 2016.

xo-v2jg3am_g

@Kemkris - what don't you like about Amazon Music? I definitely like the Spotify apps better, but via Alexa devices haven't found much difference between the two.

And Spotify, really, just come out and admit you don't care about this scenario already.