Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Amazon Echo] Play multiple Speakers at the same Time

I recently got six(6) of the 2nd gen Amazon Echo Dots and placed them everywhere in my home. And I realized the policy of Spotify that is limiting to only one device to play music at the same time bothers me a lot when I set Spotify as a default music libary. For example, if one of my family members asks one of Echo Dots in his/her room to play music A, then music B on another Echo Dot I'm listening to stops playing.

I know there is Spotify Family Plan but my kids can't join that because they are just young and they don't have any email account yet. And also I don't want to create an account for them yet.

I believe Spotify could make possible to play the same music over multiple Echo Dots under the same network at the same time somehow even while it's not possible to play music on other multiple devices. Maybe by verifying some factors like if it's for Amazon Echo Dots under the same network under the same account.

Updated on 2018-12-06

Hey folks, Spotify staff here.

We wanted to post an update as this idea has reached over 500 votes from our users.

We’re always working on improving the Spotify experience across platforms, but we’re afraid we don’t have any further information to share at the moment.

We typically don't announce integrations with third parties in advance. The best place to keep an eye on is our blog for news updates about any such partnerships.

Thanks for continuing to share your ideas and give us feedback in our Idea Exchange.

Comments
kaystrobach
Current Workaround

1. start playing on your phone
2. Repeat “Alexa switch account” until you are in your accout of step 1.
3. “Alexa continue spotify”

Done - found this by “accident” using the german alexa version. Works like a charm since then, but is still more steps then should be needed.
realriot

We left spotify due to this issue. The primary use is with all our echos at home. But the limitation of spotify makes the family account useless... Sad. Very sad.

JasonA1
What did you move to? I tried Amazon music but it seemed to have the same issue unless I missed something....?
caminni

I recently paired the new Echo Sub with my Echo dot. Up until now I have not had any issues between Spotify and Alexa, but now i'm lucky to get through 10 minutes of music without any issues. Alexa is never on the same page as my spotify and frequently skips songs or only plays audio through either the echo or Sub. I'm curious if anyone else is having similar issues? 

Mrpaul77
You can actually play on all of your home speakers now using Spotify. This
has been available for several months now. I created a group called
"Everywhere", I just simply have to say Alexa - Play "My Playlist" -
"Everywhere", and it plays throughout my house.
Wolfz76

my same problem!!! what is the usefulness of a family account when a family in the same house cannot listen different music in different rooms using alexa compatible speakers?

Wolfz76

@realriot wrote:

We left spotify due to this issue. The primary use is with all our echos at home. But the limitation of spotify makes the family account useless... Sad. Very sad.

!!!!!

Wolfz76

@Spatkinson wrote:

I had the same idea.  With Netflix, we have the one account and a number of 'profiles'.  Our subscription allows multiple, concurrent, simultaneous but different streams up to a maximum of (I think) 6.  Given the explosion of Smart Home devices, it would make Spotify a much more isable app if it were to work on multiple Alexas, just as Netflix does on multiple Apple TVs.

Netflix works fine and i thought the same thing.. Spotify have to move on this way for the modern home use of this application.

Wolfz76

@TomLegend wrote:

Updated on 2018-12-06

Hey folks, Spotify staff here.

We wanted to post an update as this idea has reached over 500 votes from our users.

We’re always working on improving the Spotify experience across platforms, but we’re afraid we don’t have any further information to share at the moment.

We typically don't announce integrations with third parties in advance. The best place to keep an eye on is our blog for news updates about any such partnerships.

Thanks for continuing to share your ideas and give us feedback in our Idea Exchange.

TODAY I HAVE MADE FAMILY ACCOUNT AND TOMORROW I WILL CLOSE MY SPOTIFY PREMIUM ACCOUNT TOO. I WILL MOVE TO AMAZON MUSIC. BAD SERVICE AND ABOVE ALL THE LACK OF DESIRE TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM.

xo-v2jg3am_g

Really want Spotify to catch up with Amazon Music's offering here for multiple devices within a home. How embarrassing.