Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Amazon Echo] Stop auto shuffling Songs when you request an Artist via Alexa

You changed the setting so that Alexa auto shuffles songs by artist when you use your voice to start spotify.  For some reason, I have to request this as a new idea for you to reverse the setting.   You already can tell alexa to shuffle when you request an artist.  Why would it auto shuffle and force you to interrupt the music you just started to play?

Updated on 2021-06-07

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
Bumble4

What are you doing Spotify? Surely nobody likes the compulsory auto shuffle feature. Maybe instead of waiting for community upvotes, you should ask 10 users what they think, and if 10 out of 10 think it sucks then change it back to the way it was.

do you like listening to Whitney Houston b sides? No one does, they just want that one from the body guard, and that other one, the rest is garbage. 

claire32

cannot beleive an "idea" needs to be logged to reverse this crazy change.  i cant find any idea that was submitted to turn this shuffle mode on in the first place

this is teh worst customer listening service i encountered. how many votes does this idea need before it is actioned? 😠

johnnybloom

My wife has been asking me to fix this for weeks. I have tried multiple times. It seems like there should at least be a setting in alexa or spotify to either shuffle or not shuffle by default. I agree with others who have stated that most people want to start with the artist's hits. 

Drumcrew89

I agree that this should be changed back. If I want to shuffle songs I can just ask Alexa to shuffle, but as it stands I cannot use the most popular songs feature of Spotify when I use it with Alexa - you have effectively rendered your own feature redundant by enforcing an auto-shuffle. Looking forward to this foolish change being reversed.

mdriscoll33

It has gotten even worse.  Now when you request songs by an artist it does not even start with a popular song.  So even if you turn shuffle off, it's too late, you are stuck with mix of b sides and obscure songs.  I can not understand why they would do this.  It completly ruins the experience using Spotify and Alexa (something that worked perfectly fine not too long ago).  Please fix this Spotify.   

desi2201

This was terrible change. Please change it back so when you play an artist, it plays it in order of top 10, then by album - from most recent to oldest. The auto-shuffle change completely ruins the experience and I will definitely switch to another music service if it is not changed back to how it was.

magicturkey

Please. Reverse this change so shuffle is not on. 

If I want to shuffle tracks by an artist I’d presume to ask “shuffle system of down”. 

These top tracks are compiled for a reason, and I doubt the artists themselves would be happy at you subverting that system. 

Thank you. 

rvp1

This setting is hot garbage. Considering changing streaming services over it.

BlueyBirdy

My dad recently had to purchase another Echo Plus after his last one broke, so we've been forced into this horrible change.

We like to listen to soundtracks. The auto-shuffle has completely ruined this experience for us as it now plays all albums out of order even when we tell Alexa to stop shuffling. The only way we can properly control Spotify through his Echo Plus now is to do it via his phone. This makes Alexa nothing more than a glorified Bluetooth speaker and makes voice commands pointless.

Why is my dad paying for Spotify Premium when he can't access the service he wants. Can you imagine the outrage if the desktop app was automatically shuffled? Why are Echo users being shafted?

suziquasar

Please change this back. This was a terrible idea resulting in the most frustrating, unnecessary  feature.