Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android] Android Widget

Having a home screen widget for Android would be really nice. All other media players have one on Android so it'd be great to see that in Spotify too. It'd make things so much easier to just be able control to Spotify from your home screen instead of swiping down for the notification bar or opening the app. It's really simple functionality so please can you add it.

Updated on 2019-09-09

Hey folks, 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this idea in the Community.

We’re excited to let you know the Android Widget is back. To get listening, make sure you’re on the latest version of the app and Spotify will show in the widget menu on your device. The widget is now resizable too and some stability issues have been fixed. 

2019-09-09.jpg

We appreciate your passion for this feature and want to thank you all for your feedback!

Comments
dubbleclick

Let's be honest, Spotify hasn't introduced anything useful and instead removed countless features that counted towards the most used or appreciated. I don't know why, I don't know who decides it's a good strategy, but at this point Spotifys paid streaming service is less feature rich than free, let alone paid alternatives. They must really hope to lose customers, considering they immediately closed the feature request as "Not now". It's frustrating beyond belief, I just hope my next streaming service won't start the same sh^t. I really hope they lose every single customer who uses android and that nobody comes back, just for the sheer audacity to mark the "bring it back" thread as a "new idea". And the failure to release a single statement as to why it was ever removed in the first place.

WarriorMan256

With this Idea set to not right now, that's exactly where I'll be placing my spotify plan status. 
I do not understand why on earth you'd take something like this away. I will NOT be back. Sorry Spotify, it was good while it lasted. 

mxcaden

I can't overstate how terrible of an idea it was to remove the home screen widget. It was super easy, simple, and quick to access. Now I'm gonna have to use Google Play Music unless Spotify brings its widget back.

Kiyora

We just canceled our family plan... awesome job Spotify!!  And I just made a comment about your app on the Playstore, hope you like it!!  Pretty sure you can't lock that thread, soooo, hope you enjoy!

Soulrider8

What a stupid idea. U have my daily commute in the car more dangerous. Utter rubbish put it back on!

azman2008

Android deverlopers at Spotify "We need to update the app, but can't come up with any good ideas on how to improve it. Oh, I know, let's take away features and call it an update..." 

Who in their right mind would think that is a good idea? Real geniousus you've got working over there. 

Danielgr7

Removing the widget was the dumbest idea ever.  Really wish I could meet the genius who thought this was a good idea.

Does Amazon music has the same amount of podcasts as spotify? Considering what service to change to.

Seanmann07

I am beyond frustrated now, why the **bleep** would you take the widget away? That's all I ever used. Seriously considering doing Pandora now. At least they won't take away their widget

Jungelmaen

This is just to d... funny... Voting for something to be in an app that use to be there.. I am kinda shocked how distant you guys are from your users. Stop this nonsense and bring back the widget! 

TheTezt

Removed with no explanation. You've received a huge groundswell of push back from android users, but then just shut off the threads, rejected the idea and hoping everyone will move on.

I will be looking at other services now who have a business model that includes some regard for the user experience. 

The way you are treating your paid subscribers here is disgusting. Unless you intend to reduce the subscription costs in line with the reduced functionality?