Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android] Android Widget

Having a home screen widget for Android would be really nice. All other media players have one on Android so it'd be great to see that in Spotify too. It'd make things so much easier to just be able control to Spotify from your home screen instead of swiping down for the notification bar or opening the app. It's really simple functionality so please can you add it.

Updated on 2019-09-09

Hey folks, 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this idea in the Community.

We’re excited to let you know the Android Widget is back. To get listening, make sure you’re on the latest version of the app and Spotify will show in the widget menu on your device. The widget is now resizable too and some stability issues have been fixed. 

2019-09-09.jpg

We appreciate your passion for this feature and want to thank you all for your feedback!

Comments
Craigski

Things that are not good ideas:

• Removing the widget
  • Telling people to vote on a new idea to get it back
  • Responding to the new idea with 'yeah, nah, not happening', shortly after directing people to vote on it
  • Locking the original thread
Ondikah

Well that sucks that you guys got rid of the widget! Was one that I use everyday and throughout.... It was super convenient too  while driving....  May need  to switch to Google music or something else ...

MICHAL89

So it looks like bye bye for me and Spotify, too bad I used it on phone, laptop and ps4. But I can live with out it, and there is plenty fish in the water so maybe I give a shot for Google music. The price in my country is not much different then spotify. 

duncan_bayne

Spotify's lack of service is approaching the inertia tipping point, where my irritation with the service will outweigh the bother involved in switching.  I'd have switched already, myself, if I didn't have a family account.

First, it was a lame attempt to justify advertising (sorry, 'paid notifications') in the app, now it's killing the widget ... oh, hang on.

Spotify, say it ain't so.  Before this change, I could start my music without opening the app.  Now, I have to open the app, to be subjcted to advertisements, sorry, 'paid notifications'.

Now I see why you've killed off the widget.  Advertising revenue, from paid subscribers.  Classy.

jeremyperdue24

How many people are going to be in more car accidents fumbling through the notification pull down? I hope they class action sue**bleep** out of you. It'd be a fun case for a new attorney. Sure they'd have a tough time proving it but they could easily wrap up your legal team for a while. 

abizaoui

I think we should take this to twitter, I have already had a rant on there and used the #bringthewidgetback

gb79a

This is just an epic shooting-themselves-in-the-face car crash!  "THIS IS FINE."

TIDAL is great so far by the way!

Mirez2000

How to 'vote' for the feature...How to 'vote' for the feature...

jakatta75

Stupid idea removing the widget. Why remove a function that made using Spotify easier? Like others have said, its not like we are asking for something new, just the return of something that was there a couple of days ago. 

joe8joe

WHAT. You literally had a working widget. It takes ZERO effort to just leave it so there is NO valid reason to remove it. What is your reason anyway? I'm not renewing my subscription with this and the new terrible slow UI. There are better options for the same price.