[Android] Android Widget

Having a home screen widget for Android would be really nice. All other media players have one on Android so it'd be great to see that in Spotify too. It'd make things so much easier to just be able control to Spotify from your home screen instead of swiping down for the notification bar or opening the app. It's really simple functionality so please can you add it.

Updated on 2019-08-13

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your vote to this idea!

We're setting this idea to 'Not Right Now', as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to reintroduce. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

If we do have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

Thanks

Comments
lukasnowak94
Visitor

This is very annoying and I am thinking about switching to another options if he widget is not reintroduced soon. Also, I was not able to control Spotify using my earphones/headphones since the last update. So right now, everytime I want to change song or/and pause, I have to unlock the phone, look for the app, open it and do whatever I need to do. Very displeased. 

NemesisKane

As per the recommendations of others, I have installed Ubiquity Music Widget as a temporary fix. I really wish I didn't have to do that, though, and so I still intend to cancel my subscription at the end of the month, migrating my business to Tidal, without a turnaround from Spotify. To think that all of this could be avoided with a simple mea culpa...

Monicat1
Visitor

Why would you get rid of the widget? I just wasted half my evening trying to figure out how to restore it, thinking I'd done it by accident. 

Dumbest idea ever!! Please bring the widget back!!

ShelJ

This is the absolute worst decision that you can make, and your explanation is sadly lacking and an insult to your users. You claim that controls can be accessed the Notifications section, however, they were there but have been removed with the widget. This was my favourite feature, along with lyrics view which was also removed, and worked fantastically. If not replaced I will be forced to cancel my premium account and take my business else where. 

tackle

I too installed the Ubiquity widget since people were mentioning it.

It's a poor alternative that only works well if you ONLY use Spotify.

I also use Soundcloud and Podcast apps, and they "take over" the widget whenever used, so you're still forced to open the Spotify app.

Which is the main idea so they can show you more ads. Sorry, "announcements", as they call it. Can't call it ads, since we're paying for the app. Then it'd be illegal.

warriormk
Visitor

Very disappointing that you removed the widget. Used it many times per day every day since i signed up to the service. Please bring it back and think of improving it further (e.g. make it resizeable, add a button for streaming destination).

FullMetalKarl
Visitor

Please, please, plllleeaasseee bring this back. It's such a useful feature and there is absolutely no benefit to removing it. Your solution to the problem is flawed and doesn't come close to working the same way as the widget did. 

Dragoshade
Regular

I'm sure you are aware, that only a small amount of your userbase is going to interact with the forums / "ideas". If you think 5% which is generous, thats equivilant to more than 100,000 votes

Mush-77
Visitor

If the widget doesn't return, I'll be switching to another app

miahiv
Casual Listener

Is there a time limit until paying customers and normal listeners have to request a feature?

For example an Android widget how long has to be requested so it becomes a reality?

Thank you!

I love Spotify <3