Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android] Android Widget

Having a home screen widget for Android would be really nice. All other media players have one on Android so it'd be great to see that in Spotify too. It'd make things so much easier to just be able control to Spotify from your home screen instead of swiping down for the notification bar or opening the app. It's really simple functionality so please can you add it.

Updated on 2019-09-09

Hey folks, 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this idea in the Community.

We’re excited to let you know the Android Widget is back. To get listening, make sure you’re on the latest version of the app and Spotify will show in the widget menu on your device. The widget is now resizable too and some stability issues have been fixed. 

2019-09-09.jpg

We appreciate your passion for this feature and want to thank you all for your feedback!

Comments
emlyy

Please bring the widget back!! You already had it so it's no work to reintroduce it and you have literally thousands of people upset with its removal within 1 day.

I used the widget every single day, multiple times a day. I've had one day of having to boot up from the app icon and I hate it. The widget removal has **bleep** my UE. 

Please listen to your customers and bring this feature back. Why you'd remove any features is beyond me anyway but this one is really frustrating. 

RaeOfSunshine

Why the heck did you remove the widget? From what I can see most people were using it pretty often and I can't imagine you were losing money on it somehow. Please bring back the widget, it was so useful and there's no way it was costing you enough money that it was necessary to remove.

stupidforum

Did you actually ask any Android users before deciding to remove the widget? The alternative doesn't work well if you turn music on and off several times throughout the day. 

I'm quite disappointed and without the widget there's virtually nothing stopping me from replacing Spotify with YouTube Music as my default music player... From there I might simply decide that Spotify is redundant. 

Haggisking

The removal of this feature and subsequent responses to the requests to bring it back really is a big ****-you to all of your customers.

It's mind-boggling that in these times of high-profile social media - where consumers are becoming more and more savvy, and it takes seconds to research basically anything online (along with all the negative reviews) - that you thought for a moment this was a good idea. There are already articles about the removal of this feature and the huge backlash on most of the high-profile tech websites. They say no publicity is bad publicity, but is this really the image of your company you want to project?

I can forgive the removal of the widget as shortsightedness - we all make mistakes sometimes - but to have the audacity to dismiss so many of your customers' wishes with a basic copy-paste "not right now" response just stinks of arrogance, at the very least your community/social media manager needs a good talking to.

Please don't make the mistake of thinking you're too big to fall; you are where you are right now because of us - your paying customers, and we can bring you down as easily as we built you up.

jensosj

At first I was upset, but on second thoughts; never mind...

I found the "Ubiquity Music Widget" at Google Play, which does the job perfectly. In addition it displays what music is playing from any app (provided it shares info with locksceeen).

Still I agree that you should not have to install a third party app if you don't want to...

lukasnowak94

This is very annoying and I am thinking about switching to another options if he widget is not reintroduced soon. Also, I was not able to control Spotify using my earphones/headphones since the last update. So right now, everytime I want to change song or/and pause, I have to unlock the phone, look for the app, open it and do whatever I need to do. Very displeased. 

NemesisKane

As per the recommendations of others, I have installed Ubiquity Music Widget as a temporary fix. I really wish I didn't have to do that, though, and so I still intend to cancel my subscription at the end of the month, migrating my business to Tidal, without a turnaround from Spotify. To think that all of this could be avoided with a simple mea culpa...

Monicat1

Why would you get rid of the widget? I just wasted half my evening trying to figure out how to restore it, thinking I'd done it by accident. 

Dumbest idea ever!! Please bring the widget back!!

This is the absolute worst decision that you can make, and your explanation is sadly lacking and an insult to your users. You claim that controls can be accessed the Notifications section, however, they were there but have been removed with the widget. This was my favourite feature, along with lyrics view which was also removed, and worked fantastically. If not replaced I will be forced to cancel my premium account and take my business else where. 

tackle

I too installed the Ubiquity widget since people were mentioning it.

It's a poor alternative that only works well if you ONLY use Spotify.

I also use Soundcloud and Podcast apps, and they "take over" the widget whenever used, so you're still forced to open the Spotify app.

Which is the main idea so they can show you more ads. Sorry, "announcements", as they call it. Can't call it ads, since we're paying for the app. Then it'd be illegal.