Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android] Android Widget

Having a home screen widget for Android would be really nice. All other media players have one on Android so it'd be great to see that in Spotify too. It'd make things so much easier to just be able control to Spotify from your home screen instead of swiping down for the notification bar or opening the app. It's really simple functionality so please can you add it.

Updated on 2019-09-09

Hey folks, 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this idea in the Community.

We’re excited to let you know the Android Widget is back. To get listening, make sure you’re on the latest version of the app and Spotify will show in the widget menu on your device. The widget is now resizable too and some stability issues have been fixed. 

2019-09-09.jpg

We appreciate your passion for this feature and want to thank you all for your feedback!

Comments
dj9281

On my Samsung S9 phone, all widgets for spotify suddenly disappeared and cannot be found or added. Has anyone else had this problem? 

OnlyBLACK_ALPHA

do have the same problem on my glalaxy a5 2016

Svampmoln

Here's a weird idea, it's august 2019 and Android has been around for 12 years. Apps and come and gone, some apps have this thing called a widget, something you can place on your homescreen and control the app from. It works really well and you as a company, who state over and over again how you value your users and that you want to be in the forefront of user experience, should really look into developing one... 

dekenfrost

Hey, great idea! 

Maybe they can take a page from some of the other media players, like google play, amazon music, APPLE music or heck basically ANY OTHER media player out there because a widget is a basic functionality for a media app on android. 

**bleep** me. I've been a premium subscriber for over 5 years, I've always been like "hey these changes aren't THAT bad" even when they took lyrics away and replaced them with this behind the lyrics nonsense no one asked for. But they FINALLY p i s s e d even me off one too many times.

Get you're act together, no one wants features removed for no **bleep** reason. 

galshahaf25

Completely agree

I honestly can't understand the idea behind removing the widget. It didn't bother anyone but you still had to kill it for no reason!

Please bring it back! 

Iw_coldice

This sucks, I use that widget multiple times every single day. I don't ever use the app icon I use the widget. It's so much easier to just click and play rather than click click click click oh play. Why take it away?? If someone doesn't want it they don't have to add it... But what about the thousands of people who do want it... I'm very upset. I don't want another app on my home screen I want the widget. 

tsuna00

So my app just updated and it took me a while to understand why there's a huge blank space on my home screen.

While I think the previous comments are a bit too aggressive, I agree with the point they're making. I personally use the widget every day, and love it. If you're going to remove the widget then please explain the alternative - and as others have stated, the notification tray feature only provides some of the solution.

Please bring back the widget. Widgets are one of the main reasons I love Android, and the spotify app.

Andrews32

Spotify has an amazing history of removing features people rely on based on a whim. I'm guessing they had to update this for the next version of Android and didn't want to? 

At any rate, I've been using this widget for six or seven years. I will use Spotify less without it. I'm going to check out free trials on other services and make the jump unless this comes back ASAP.

IoriYagamiSama

The only widget I use since years ago and now is gone. Well, now I can say I don't use any widget at all. Thanks Spotify.

dubbleclick

Schade, dass Du uns verlässt Du hast Dein Spotify Premium-Abonnement gekündigt, das am 2019-08-18 endet.

Removing features on end, yet nothing new has come. No explanations, no alternatives, just removing features that even free services provide.