Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android] Android Widget

Having a home screen widget for Android would be really nice. All other media players have one on Android so it'd be great to see that in Spotify too. It'd make things so much easier to just be able control to Spotify from your home screen instead of swiping down for the notification bar or opening the app. It's really simple functionality so please can you add it.

Updated on 2019-09-09

Hey folks, 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this idea in the Community.

We’re excited to let you know the Android Widget is back. To get listening, make sure you’re on the latest version of the app and Spotify will show in the widget menu on your device. The widget is now resizable too and some stability issues have been fixed. 

2019-09-09.jpg

We appreciate your passion for this feature and want to thank you all for your feedback!

Comments
LionFreak

Guys, the only way to make an impact to Spotify is to cancel your subscription which is what I did. I should thank Spotify because their idiocy made me look for an alternative and I found a better streaming app service for the same price.

I'm here to tell you DEEZER SOUND QUALITY BLOWS SPOTIFY AWAY!!! I only got the family plan. Deezer offers a Hi Fi plan too!

It's Amazing! I have my home screen widget back AND installed on desktop and my Roku and my Fire stick!

Deezer is awesome! Find in the Google play store they have several plans huge music library and free trial periods to check them out. 

I didn't uninstall Spotify yet and my playlists are still there. I just canceled my premium membership! Spotify showed they do not care about their customers so I won't give them my $. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Waltpowell

Well... you dumped the wiget, closed the complaint thread and then maked the request channel "not right now". Guess it's time to go shop Apple, Google and Tidal subscriptions. I'll probs flame you on social first tho.

sheydee

In 5 days this post has as many votes as something from 2014.  It is the fourth highest overall. Wake up Spotify, time to put the widget back. August 25th my subscription runs out and I don't want to have to switch. But all the other music companies have a widget.just admit it was a mistake and bring it back.  

Bigfella22

I joined the community purely to voice my thoughts on this change. The widget is persistent, and allows me to pick up where I left off with one click. It works for us. 

Please bring it back. Users who want it can have it, those who don't don't have to use it. 

I pay $17.99 a month for this service, you have the money. Reach into your hearts and turn on this little piece of code for us. 

raalrizzo

Just bring it back. Simple. 

Jelliii

I also made an account to comment purely to request for the widget to be returned. I have the premium account and am a daily user. I always begin my day using the spotify widget to put on morning podcasts.

The argument that the app can still be used through the notification panel is a little ridiculous. That notification panel is not always there, and is more steps to even access. Yeah it can be used, but for most people the widget was the main way they would launch the app. Its much more accessible, good for quick use, and is less steps for a user to interact with the app.

The app experience is much more inconvenient for most of your android users now. It's even more concerning that after many people reached out to Spotify asking for a useful feature to be returned your company refuses to listen to paying customers who obviously loved this feature

AuburnCatfish

Spotify has one week to reintroduce a widget/better explain their plans or I'm going to Google. I'm still on a 3 mo trial with Spotify and was on the fence between the two services to begin with. I already keep all my owned music on Google, like that service fine, and it currently HAS A WIDGET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Imploding your business doesn't hurt me, it hurts you.... 

Weasleking

@Guido Maybe don't remove features everyone wants and uses?

jspot370

I spend 6 hours+/day listening to Spotify, and the Widget was *by far* best way to control from my phone - for all the reasons previously listed.

Please bring it back - makes no sense to remove it!,?

Waltpowell

As a follow on to my previous comment, I downloaded Deezer seems pretty legit and they still have a widget that does persistence. I was able to use Tunemymusic to move all my playlists and preferences for free. Deezer is $14.99 for the family plan, so it looks like you have the rest of this billing cycle to figure out how you wanna treat customers before someone else gets my $.