Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android] Android Widget

Having a home screen widget for Android would be really nice. All other media players have one on Android so it'd be great to see that in Spotify too. It'd make things so much easier to just be able control to Spotify from your home screen instead of swiping down for the notification bar or opening the app. It's really simple functionality so please can you add it.

Updated on 2019-09-09

Hey folks, 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this idea in the Community.

We’re excited to let you know the Android Widget is back. To get listening, make sure you’re on the latest version of the app and Spotify will show in the widget menu on your device. The widget is now resizable too and some stability issues have been fixed. 

2019-09-09.jpg

We appreciate your passion for this feature and want to thank you all for your feedback!

Comments
ShermCraig

Tick-tock, Spotify. About to cancel a family account because of your misguided removal of Android's widget. Gotta believe you are bleeding customers. Might want to rethink your silly decision.

edonnelly

Yes, this would be a great feature, and a return to a functionality we had previously! The alternatives that have been offered are inferior to the widget, which all other android audio (music, podcast, audiobook, etc.) apps have.

Iceandrews

So dumb

Sirmary

This isn't iOS, I want my widget, it makes using my huge Note easier to manage and control music since I can place it towards the bottom of the screen.

openstar53

Ummm.  You made Spotify worse - on purpose?  Great plan.

vanash84

There used to be a widget for it.  I was wondering why it was gone myself.

Jorgesz45

How to lose a customer with one update.... So stupid 

temp2

A widget would be a very handy way to use the appfrom the home screen, or even open the app if you have redundant apps hidden or want a clean, uncluttered phone

KentSmith

The lame excuse that you can use the pull down notification does is invalid as it's not there when the app is not running.  I had the widget on my home-screen and could play from where I left off after the app closed down.  Now I have to go into apps, into my mustic folder, click on spotify, wait for it to load and then press play.  Congratulations Spotify, you just made Spotify a lot less convenient for a lot of users.

If Spotify really dosn't see value in providing music transport controls via the widget - at least, redesign it to be similar to how Netflix's widget works.  It not only allows you to resume where to left off from after the app is closed, but also teases new relevant content it thinks I might be interested in - to goad me into watching it.  This will result in more active listens.  Non paying listeners will generate more revenue for Spotify via the widget.  And the more non-paying listeners use Spotify, the greater the conversion rate to a paid subscription, resulting in event more revenue.  Spotify is really cutting off one of their limbs by removing the widget.  Do they really not realise this??!

KentSmith

A lot of comments on here saying that Spotify did this because they want to provide similar experience to Apple users or they hate Android.  But even Apple Music has an Androd widget!