Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android] Android Widget

Having a home screen widget for Android would be really nice. All other media players have one on Android so it'd be great to see that in Spotify too. It'd make things so much easier to just be able control to Spotify from your home screen instead of swiping down for the notification bar or opening the app. It's really simple functionality so please can you add it.

Updated on 2019-09-09

Hey folks, 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this idea in the Community.

We’re excited to let you know the Android Widget is back. To get listening, make sure you’re on the latest version of the app and Spotify will show in the widget menu on your device. The widget is now resizable too and some stability issues have been fixed. 

2019-09-09.jpg

We appreciate your passion for this feature and want to thank you all for your feedback!

Comments
Junaid29

Thanks for not listening. That's exactly what we want. I had to go and download a previous version of the app to get this simple feature back. Whoever thought of this idea needs to be fired immediately. Clearly they are not good UX/UI designers.

Jakeamahoney

Canceled. 

Horrible comms. 

drinkingcoffee

this is idiotic. I can only use the notification to control music if it's already playing.

I've downgraded by finding the apk, and plan to keep it locked on that version.

I guess I should have paid more attention to people complaining about all the pointless UI changes, even if they didn't bother me enough to care. And now here we are.

Does it really cost that much programming effort to maintain the widget functionality?

wahn_j

'We always take retiring features in Spotify very seriously'

Can you provide some insight as to why this has been removed?

If someone didn't want the widget - they simply wouldn't use it. 

RobertoMaiorano

In my humble opinion, removing the widget was one of the least smart marketing moves Spotify did. Right after the most annoying premium-subscribtion adverts. I was using Spotify on a day-to-day basis and it really shook me, when the feature got removed. 2 days ago I was chatting with a friend about how much better Spotify was on Android, bc of that feature. When trying to make the service easier to understand, why didn't you first think of adapting the same movements on Apple and Android-Devices? Like grabbing a song and dragging it to the right for the queue instead of having to click the 3 dots? 

Fuct

Terrible design decision.

Sundvor

I've been using the widget for more years than I can remember; I've been a premium user for over a decade, since when they launched in 2008 or shortly after.

Well, no longer - after seeing that explanation, I'm out.

Google Play Music Premium has both working lock and home screen widgets, and I was already paying for that for the Youtube ads.

I put the widget as my cancellation reason. 

monk2011

I think more annoying than the widget removal is the incredibly condescending attitude of all the Spotify moderators/employees. In the original post they tried to explain how the drop down notification controls work with pictures! We aren't idioits.

They also said that existing features have all the same functionality which is false as multiple people have pointed out because you can't start music playing from those locations. Then you lock the original thread to reduce the backlash, and then shift it to a New Idea that requires a lot of votes before you decide if it's worth your time to listen to your own customers concerns. It's fine that you want votes before you reimplement things but at least give us the time of day! One of the moderators even shared a link to explain why it was gone and it's just a small stub that amounts to "tough, things change". It  least wasn't even specifically about the widget. The least you could do is tell us WHY without talking to us like children or just repeating the sanitized marketing line that gives us no real reason why it would be removed.

Arcifer

Removing this widget is absurd, I've been a premium member now for a decade and have used the widget pretty much every day constantly. Huge mistake to remove it,  Please put it back in. 

Incognitum

Woke up this morning to no widget,  canceled my family premium plan.Screenshot_20190814-072102_Gmail.jpg

Hope you're proud of yourself spotify. #Ain'tPlayin'