Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android] Android Widget

Having a home screen widget for Android would be really nice. All other media players have one on Android so it'd be great to see that in Spotify too. It'd make things so much easier to just be able control to Spotify from your home screen instead of swiping down for the notification bar or opening the app. It's really simple functionality so please can you add it.

Updated on 2019-09-09

Hey folks, 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this idea in the Community.

We’re excited to let you know the Android Widget is back. To get listening, make sure you’re on the latest version of the app and Spotify will show in the widget menu on your device. The widget is now resizable too and some stability issues have been fixed. 

2019-09-09.jpg

We appreciate your passion for this feature and want to thank you all for your feedback!

Comments
btheoburke

This was an illconcieved update.  Why remove a feature that some subset of your subscribers use all of the time?

The Amazon music app is now occupying the space that the Spotify app used to.  😕

baker910

Agreed! I am FURIOUS that the widget is missing now. The article they gave as an "explanation" didn't give ANY reason for removing it. Why take away something that was already perfectly functional?! I have to use a screen dimming app because my eyes are sensitive and it doesn't work for the drop down menu, which means I have to strain my eyes now to use their "replacement widget". Also can't launch the app from the notification bar if it's not already running like you can from the widget.

Mantisbass

If the widget isn't back by the end of the week, I'm canceling my subscription. Google, Amazon, and Pandora are all capable of filling the void of the Spotify widget.

CmentMixer

What a PR nightmare. Now you have at least a security conspiracy, an Apple-hates-android conspiracy, and the obvious Competitor-widget-fills-that-space-nicely option.

I'm leaning towards the last. Your service is not differentiated enough from your competition to warrant going backwards on features. The addition of the recommended work around via notification screen is a poor substitute. 

sayobel

Widget, please. There's this perfectly shaped empty space on my home screen now. 

Tuddo

Yeah Bring back the widget or else I'll find a different subscription . Funny how your doing thing to "improve" user experience but idioticly do the one thing possible that certain for backlash. 

Tuddo

Yeah Bring back the widget or else I'll find a different subscription . Funny how your doing thing to "improve" user experience but idioticly do the one thing possible that certain for backlash.

darthroot19

I agree with everyone here on the widget. Don't know why every app changes to be like IOS. Android is different for a reason, it isn't IOS. That means widgets being useful. That's one of the reasons why I like Android so much. I too was devastated when I turned my phone on and saw the widget was gone. It happened on a few other apps before, and they brought them back. So Spotify do the same thing. I know change is difficult but at least give an explanation of why the widget was dumped, not a lame one you offered. I mean if it was a serious bug in it, would make more sense. So bottom line, bring the widget back!!!!!!

lazlonger

they're always was an Android widget but the developers got the smart idea to get rid of it. Stupid stupid stupid. Give it back it wasn't causing any trouble and not having it is causing trouble. Stop being so **bleep** clever. If a week goes by where you don't make an update you should consider that a good week.

baker910

Agreed with others, I am absolutely canceling my family plan if this isn't back before my payment is due in less than a week. I've got plenty of credit for Google that I could get a free subscription out of for a while...