Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android]: Bring back "Pin playlists to homescreen"

According to a discussion on https://community.spotify.com/t5/Your-Library/Move-playlists-to-Homescreen/td-p/5453989 it is "currently not available".

Albums are possible to be pinned to the homescreen, but the support to do the same with playlists is removed recently

Through this way I would like to request to add this functionality back to the android app

Updated on 2022-12-05

Hey! Looks like your idea is growing up fast and it's amazing! We are going to change its status to 'Good Suggestion' now and we hope it continues being supported by more and more users.
Thanks again for your suggestion. We really appreciate it 🙂

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Top Answer
BoredFish
Regular

***update: I did get a playlist shortcut back on my Android homescreen finally. Try going into the app drawer, long press on the Spotify icon, the Playlist i wanted popped up in the context menu, another long press sent it to the homescreen.

***update 2: Wasn't sure at first how to control what playlists show up in the long press pop-up but so far it has worked by navigating to the Playlist and hitting the phone's homescreen button and going back through the long-press process above. Each time the most recently displayed playlist in the app was visible in the pop-up.

I'm a little late to this party. My last two phones had the shortcuts automatically transferred over by the phone backup service; so I had no idea this had been removed until my most recent phone transfer didn't bring them with it! Super bummed. I used those homescreen shortcuts literally every day.

Like @phrozenstare mentioned, my work vehicle is a Ford Transit van fleet vehicle. No android auto even though it's a 2019 so the shortcut was a huge lifesaver while driving. Not every new vehicle has fancy tech.

Comments
happymod-ios

Are you a music lover who frequently uses Spotify to listen to your favorite playlists? Have you ever wished that you could easily access your Spotify playlists without having to go through the app every time? Well, the good news is that you can now pin your Spotify playlists to your home screen for easy access. This article will guide you through the steps of pinning your Spotify playlists to your home screen and why it is a convenient way to access your favorite music. Cydia

Why Pinning Spotify Playlists to Homescreen is Convenient

1. Quick Access: Pinning your Spotify playlists to your home screen allows you to quickly access your favorite playlists without having to search for them within the app.

2. Customization: You can customize your home screen by adding your favorite Spotify playlists as widgets, which can be resized and positioned on your screen according to your preference.

3. Time-Saving: Pinning your Spotify playlists to your home screen saves you time, especially if you frequently listen to the same playlists. You can simply tap on the widget and start listening to your music without having to open the Spotify app.

4. Organization: By pinning your Spotify playlists to your home screen, you can organize your music in a more efficient way, making it easier for you to find your favorite playlists.

How to Pin Spotify Playlists to Homescreen on Android

If you're an Android user, here's how you can pin your Spotify playlists to your home screen:

1. Open the Spotify app on your Android device.
  2. Go to the playlist that you want to pin to your home screen.
  3. Tap on the three dots icon located at the top right corner of the playlist.
  4. Select "Add to Home Screen" from the dropdown menu.
  5. Choose the widget size that you want to use and tap "Add Widget".
  6. Resize and position the widget on your home screen as desired.
happymod-ios

Tips for Pinning Spotify Playlists to Homescreen

1. Choose your favorite playlists: Pin only the playlists that you listen to frequently to avoid cluttering your home screen.

2. Use widget sizes that suit your needs: Spotify offers various widget sizes, so choose the one that suits your needs.

3. Position your widgets strategically: You can position your Spotify playlist widgets anywhere on your home screen, so place them in a position that is easily accessible.

4. Update your widgets regularly: If you add new songs or create a new playlist, update your widget to keep it fresh and relevant. HappyMod iOS.

KellicTiger

Honestly the removal this feature kind of pisses me off. Growing up when I got my first car I'd have a CD wallet sitting on the seat. If I wanted to change music grab the new CD throw it in, away you go. The ability to have albums in a folder on my desktop / home screen was the digital equivalent of that. Instead of needing to wade through Spotify's **bleep** UI. Literally three taps. Home > folder > album.  Who depreciates a feature that isn't impacting the design of the product?!? Seriously the feature is still there. I've got the folders on my desktop still and they still work in regards to playing music. Just bring back the ability to add it to the desktop.

joannam1

I found a workaround:

Press and hold your Spotify icon. Recently played playlists will appear. Press on the playlist you want and drag it to the home screen. 

DJCNC

@joannam1 that worked! You don't even have to play it. Just go to the album or playlist and hold the Spotify icon on your home screen. Thank you!

HoldSpotAccountable

God, Spotify's hypocrisy knows no bounds apparently. There are like a dozen or more Ideas asking for this new trash home page UI to be removed—all of which were closed because apparently it's a rule that "Requests for complete roll-backs are not allowed." (Examples: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10) And yet they don't seem to have any problem with this idea asking for a feature that was removed to be restored. If that's not a "complete roll-back" I don't know what is.

Why don't you just come clean and flat out say that you just aren't going to get rid of the new UI no matter how many people hate it?

hobohodou

@HoldSpotAccountable.

I happened to drop in on an email update and as someone who's seen a fair bit of controversy surrounding their handling of feedback & suggestions it interested me. I checked your 10 closed ideas and most of them seemed to be framed around the concept of "get rid of the new UI"

-since we're onto that point.

"And yet they don't seem to have any problem with this idea asking for a feature that was removed to be restored. If that's not a "complete roll-back" I don't know what is.

Why don't you just come clean and flat out say that you just aren't going to get rid of the new UI no matter how many people hate it?"

This isn't a request for a complete roll back, not from your hill anyway. It's not a wish for the new UI to go away either but one spawned from part of the new UI suddenly popping itself out of existence and instruction from a CM to make a new suggestion. It was something spawned out of a help thread where there was confusion over what happened to the feature as it appeared to outright be a bug. If you were to look back at the start of this topic you'd see people discuss workarounds and troubleshoot it as if it were a bug.
It is far from asking for a complete rollback. It was feedback on a feature disappearing; one that was part of the UI.
This thread was spawned by a CM, who was without their knowledge suggesting the thing that was removed as a workaround. 

Yes they are incompetent. Yes the thread is worded with "bring back" but no. It's nothing like the posts you quoted. It was part of the new UI that disappeared entirely and wasn't a request for a complete rollback. A complete rollback would be wishing to go back to another dated, buggy version of the new UI in which you could not even use offline mode or use UI elements without a crash. There's feedback within the thread aimed towards spotify that these features which had been even accessible were removed.
I'm sorry to see you were upset by your thread being baleeted but your post appears to have nothing to do with this one and you're throwing your toys about in response. You claim to be pointing out spotify's hypocrisy while failing to understand the comment because you come from the position of one having a tantrum.

Please do talk about the issue or perish.

Jaycem4

Why remove such a useful feature? Every update makes the app worse. 😭 If you aren't going to let me add playlist widgets then let me organize the app home screen UI to my own liking in a way that actually makes sense and not refresh the design everytime I open it. It so disorienting. You can't even pin more than 3 playlists/podcasts. It's so disorganized I want to scream. 

mattelacchiato

My son (5) cries: "Why do they do this?"

He really used this feature to organize his audio books... It was mich easier to use than navigating the app if you can't read it write...

lycheelightning

This feature was fabulous for bookmarking new albums to check out before deciding whether I want them in my library. I used to have well over a hundred of these shortcuts organized into folders, and it's really frustrating that I can't add them anymore. Napster still has this feature, and I've no clue why Spotify would do away with it.

Thanks to joannam1 for the incredibly helpful workaround. However, this reveals to me that the feature still exists, and Spotify just decided to make it as inaccessible as possible, which makes no sense whatsoever.

Glad to see that others are still pushing for this to come back. Really hoping the devs will listen.