[Android] Manual Car Mode Activation

Hi everyone,

I use Spotify when driving and would like to use Car Mode as the small "buttons" make it unsafe to select music on the go. However due to the age / spec of my car, it does not come with a built in Bluetooth connection so I cannot use this potentially handy feature.

Spotify support sent me here to post it to the community so hopefully an option to manually select Car Mode on / off (i.e. irrespective of connection choice) will get enough votes to be a reality.

Alternatively, I find the adjustment of text size in Neutron MP3 Player works fine so possibly this could be an even more useful feature?

Thanks,

Tim

Updated on 2019-06-02

Marked as new idea.

Please check this related Idea:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Mobile-Car-Mode/idi-p/1014795

Comments
xmerciex

I agree completely! And I'd also like to turn off the videos that play with certian songs, ITS SO DISTRACTING WHILE I'M TRYING TO DRIVE. I keep spotify open behind my map so I can change the song easier but when a video starts flashing at me its so hard to focus! I can't believe they can even do this tbh.

FinnB
Casual Listener

yes, I agree with you completely.

I would like to add that I listen to spotify a lot via PC and would like to see the possibilty to use car mode when playing on a different device than my phone, so I can use my docked phone as a quick acces to spotify.

Marekski

Have you tried using it with the Android Auto app on your phone? That makes Spotify appear with bigger, driver-friendly buttons.

Rock Star 22
Rock Star 22
Status changed to: New Idea

Updated on 2019-06-02

Marked as new idea.

eb_blackwoods
Casual Listener

@xmerciex wrote:

I agree completely! And I'd also like to turn off the videos that play with certian songs, ITS SO DISTRACTING WHILE I'M TRYING TO DRIVE. I keep spotify open behind my map so I can change the song easier but when a video starts flashing at me its so hard to focus! I can't believe they can even do this tbh.

Apologies, I did not receive notification of your reply.

Companies do not seem to take seriously how dangerous touch screen technology is when driving!

eb_blackwoods
Casual Listener

@Marekski wrote:

Have you tried using it with the Android Auto app on your phone? That makes Spotify appear with bigger, driver-friendly buttons.

I have not because, as mentioned in my original post, my car does not have Media capabilities like that. It probably would help but I see no reason to waste money on a new headunit, etc. when my tablet is perfectly capable of doing this if Spotify allowed you to manually activate car mode.

eb_blackwoods
Casual Listener

@osornios wrote:

Updated on 2019-06-02

Marked as new idea.

I'm not sure if I understand this correctly but the I have proposed an option to manually activate / override car mode. From what I can see with the attached link, this solution would require car mode to automatically activate before being useful to me. As mentioned before my car does not have connectivity to activate car mode, hence I would like to see the ability to activate it when the user decides to.

micalmt

Great idea - I was looking for this to make it safer when I'm driving a bike. I'm sure there are many more use cases for this and it would be a great, easy to implement feature.

Marekski

@eb_blackwoods wrote:

@Marekski wrote:

I have not because, as mentioned in my original post, my car does not have Media capabilities like that. It probably would help but I see no reason to waste money on a new headunit, etc. when my tablet is perfectly capable of doing this if Spotify allowed you to manually activate car mode.

You don't need media capabilities in your car to use Android Auto. It works right off your phone's screen: https://www.androidcentral.com/how-set-android-auto-your-phone-so-youll-actually-use-it

eb_blackwoods
Casual Listener

@Marekski wrote:

@eb_blackwoods wrote:

@Marekski wrote:

You don't need media capabilities in your car to use Android Auto. It works right off your phone's screen: https://www.androidcentral.com/how-set-android-auto-your-phone-so-youll-actually-use-it

Thanks for the info. After reading through the link supplied and then the official Android Auto page, I can confirm that my car is not compatible for this option so sadly it will not work for me as there is not a USB connection to use with my tablet (my phone is used for SatNav duties separately).

Just to clarify though I was advised that this forum is a way to get new features implemented into the app itself so while there possibly are third party workarounds, I am hoping it gets enough votes to be included directly into the Spotify app.