[Android][Radio] More artist variety in Spotify Stations

I like the idea of Spotify Stations but the execution has been less than stellar to say the least. Today I had a station play the same artist six times in a row. Note that this station had 10 artists selected and it had the "similar artist" option on. If you weren't in the mood to listen to this artist at that time you would have to use all six skips in hope of getting a different artist. That's unacceptable.

Even outside of that occurrence the artist variety is terrible. Rarely will I get an artist on my station that is outside the selected 10 artist. And there's absolutely no way on the user's end to increase the variety. You can either have the "play similar artists" option on or off, without the choice of range of variety. I wish I could hear much more variety than the minuscule amount we are given.

Also I noticed that Spotify plays favoritism towards some artist within your selected 10. For example I had the band Gojira as part of my selected 10 station for a Death Metal station. However, Gojira would play way more often than any of the other 9 artists. Again, there's no one to really change this without removing Gojira from the selection altogether. I know, that technically the thumbs up/down system should help with that, but I should have to thumbs down a song I like just so I can listen to other songs.

I also have another problem that when I do get an artist outside of my selected 10 artists, they are often outside the genre that the station is supposed to represent. I have a station that's filled with numerous Funk artists but the rare few occasion I do get an artist to play that isn't part of the selected 10, they usually aren't a funk group. It's infuriating.

I don't know what to say other than fix this.

Updated on 2020-01-21

Marked as new idea.

0 Likes
Comments
Rock Star 23
Rock Star 23
Status changed to: New Idea

Updated on 2020-01-21

Marked as new idea.