Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Other] Bookmark audio books and separate them from music

Please implement bookmarks for audio books and separate them from music.

There was an idea for bookmarks in audio books. Sadly it was closed, because one half of the idea (save the position in podcasts) has been implemented, even though nearly all of the 30 pages was about people wanting this for audio books.

As the moderator posted "If you'd like to see the same behaviour for audio books, we'd recommend making a new Community Idea for this.", so this is it.

There are many other audio book bookmarks requests, but they were all closed as duplicates because of the now closed idea. 

As an additional aspect to this, please ensure a separate handling / tagging of audio books and music. When alternating between listening to audio books and music the Spotify engine starts putting book chapters in your recommendation playlists, which doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

01/2023: It's astonishing that Spotify keeps steadfast in ignoring this simple and annoying issue. Getting a best of 2022 list with chapters of audio books still isn't a good idea. 

Updated on 2020-02-24

Hey folks,

We appreciate you coming to the Community, and adding your votes and comments to this idea.

We're setting this idea to 'Not Right Now', as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to implement.
If we do have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

Thanks 

Comments
JAFJOE

Nothing new??? Still waiting! 😞 😞 😞

nackend

This is really needed!

DenalB

*Sign*

Me an my wife are listening to audiobooks. Spotify remembers the position as long as we don't listen to other music. There should be a button "bookmark position" or another implementation for helping better listening to audiobooks!

Strugglechen

Yes, please implement this

Walle_

Could we at least get a response from the dev-team? Come on, guys!

You have the functionality already available for podcast. It’s literally a matter copy/paste. Make it happen already! 

QderBaer

They could literally wipe out a whole audiobook Plattform in Germany, if They'd make IT Happen.

I know several people with Accounts on both, which would immediately switch to only use Spotify 

Amsel

Why does spotify not implement this function? As we see in podcasts it is possible. And the community asks for it for years now. What is going on? Spotify even marks the threads about it as "new idea". wth?

dieuze

I find this idea important: Not only that spotify remembers the bookmark in a book audio file, but also to exlude book chapters from any personal "best of"  compilation. Is there any update as per now (Oct. 2019)?

coskuncesur

This feature is available for ITunes since I can think. If it works for podcasts it should be easy to apply to books too. If there is a problem regarding patents or something else like from Apple regarding this, just be honest and tell so. But it would really add a lot of value to Spotify.

QnD

Dear Devs,

I just switched from Napster to Spotify, because of the better audio quality and better search. Finding out that there are no bookmarks and even no history of played songs make me regret my decision.

All other streaming clients do offer both feature. So why does Spotify offer it in their clients?

Please implement bookmarks for audio. You already did it for podcasts, so it can't be that much effort.

Cheers