Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Other] Bookmark audio books and separate them from music

Please implement bookmarks for audio books and separate them from music.

There was an idea for bookmarks in audio books. Sadly it was closed, because one half of the idea (save the position in podcasts) has been implemented, even though nearly all of the 30 pages was about people wanting this for audio books.

As the moderator posted "If you'd like to see the same behaviour for audio books, we'd recommend making a new Community Idea for this.", so this is it.

There are many other audio book bookmarks requests, but they were all closed as duplicates because of the now closed idea. 

As an additional aspect to this, please ensure a separate handling / tagging of audio books and music. When alternating between listening to audio books and music the Spotify engine starts putting book chapters in your recommendation playlists, which doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

01/2023: It's astonishing that Spotify keeps steadfast in ignoring this simple and annoying issue. Getting a best of 2022 list with chapters of audio books still isn't a good idea. 

Updated on 2020-02-24

Hey folks,

We appreciate you coming to the Community, and adding your votes and comments to this idea.

We're setting this idea to 'Not Right Now', as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to implement.
If we do have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

Thanks 

Comments
dieuze

Is there any particular person in charge, who would explain the spotify position on this, or are you hiding behind some "team" or "we" and wait until this little shitstorm goes over and sit it out?

freda42

Audiobooks had problems for a long time now, especially long ones... chapter names so long you can’t see the track number, album song limited to 100, then 300 songs (not enough for long audiobooks). This made it especially difficult to navigate them without a bookmark feature.

For anyone looking for a sort of „hack“ at the moment to make listening to audiobooks at least a bit bearable: create a playlist with the audiobook album (this gets around the title limits) and then edit->delete titles that you’ve already listened to from the top of the playlist once you’re done listening for the moment (or just do it occasionally while listening). That way you can restart from the top of the playlist and be roughly where you stopped.

ZsoyZ

Audible is so much better when it comes to listening to audio books. In Spotify, when I leave an audio books to listen to some music it is very cumbersome to resume it where I stopped listening. I find this so annoying and really hope that bookmark and resume feature will be added ASAP. Many thanks in advance.

Seperate Audiobooks from things like Playlists or large Symphonies isn't what I'm looking for. The thing I'm looking for is like "remember where I left off", so I'll be able to continue listening from the second I left an Audiobook, a Playlist or a long Symphony

MerlinDE

It is extremely unsatisfying to see you constantly shying away from finally handling audiobooks in a decent way. I can only suspect that it would generate a massive effort on your side to fix this. The problem right now is, audiobooks make any auto-generated lists in Spotify unusable. No one wants to listen to some nice audio tracks and suddenly be interrupted by an arbitrary chapter from some audiobook. It does not make sense. It degrades the user experience. It worsens your product. Fix it!

Kuddy_mi

Hello,

this status is from 2018... now it's July 2020. There are great audiobooks on Spotify, but the usability for picking up the right chapter in audiobooks is somehow... frustrating... I actually quit a few books, because some do not even have chapter numbers or time stamps....

srmurphy1978

It would be great if audiobook functionality would be improved and treated separately from music. This is especially true for the exclusion of random chapters in mixtapes, bookmarking / play status of audio books currently played, excluding audiobook tracks from the your library count etc.

perelandra1881

I just installed this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tobik.audiobookspotify&hl=en_US.

Tobik Tobias Kausch implemented an Android App which solves this isse. Thanks Tobik.

DarkMikey

I do have a workaround for this problem [mobile only], although it's not perfect

1. Go to your playlist/album of your audiobook
  2. If you want to bookmark a book chapter just click the 3 dots and select "hide song" [mobile only]
    -> This will grey out this chapter but keep it in the list. You'll have an easy bookmark without syncing/exporting anything to Google Keep or whatever. Just don't forget to undo this.
romaangelou

Hello Spotify admin, I know you have set this recommendation to "Not now" status last February, but I hope you reconsider. Spotify is currently housing a growing number of podcast creators and as an avid listener, I really find it necessary and useful to be able to bookmark certain parts of an audio record not just because I want to go back to it and play it where I left off but also because I want to ponder on things said in the audio. Listening to podcasts is very much like reading to many people especially those who learn better thru aural means.

It would be awesome to have this feature so I hope you reopen this thread for reconsideration.