Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Other] Bookmark audio books and separate them from music

Please implement bookmarks for audio books and separate them from music.

There was an idea for bookmarks in audio books. Sadly it was closed, because one half of the idea (save the position in podcasts) has been implemented, even though nearly all of the 30 pages was about people wanting this for audio books.

As the moderator posted "If you'd like to see the same behaviour for audio books, we'd recommend making a new Community Idea for this.", so this is it.

There are many other audio book bookmarks requests, but they were all closed as duplicates because of the now closed idea. 

As an additional aspect to this, please ensure a separate handling / tagging of audio books and music. When alternating between listening to audio books and music the Spotify engine starts putting book chapters in your recommendation playlists, which doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

01/2023: It's astonishing that Spotify keeps steadfast in ignoring this simple and annoying issue. Getting a best of 2022 list with chapters of audio books still isn't a good idea. 

Updated on 2020-02-24

Hey folks,

We appreciate you coming to the Community, and adding your votes and comments to this idea.

We're setting this idea to 'Not Right Now', as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to implement.
If we do have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

Thanks 

Comments
murpsel

Btw. if I understand the rules correctly, we need 100 kudos or more (in a year, but faster is probably better) to be considered for this idea, so do keep voting it up if you come across this and agree it sounds like a feature you'd like.

Thanks! 🙂

RoterOktober

Hi,

this is really a must-have feature for audio books! I do not understand why this feature is not available as Spotify has many audiobooks! It is really annoying when you move to a podcase or to some music and you loose your position in the audiobook!

Please implement this feature!

michaelruder

I agree that this feature is very important for audiobooks.

It would be great to see this implemented by Spotify.

As mentioned above, it is already implemented for Podcasts.

osornios
Status changed to: Up for Votes

Updated on 2018-11-18

Marked as new idea.

freda42

Yes, please! This is a feature request that goes back to 2012! Can’t believe it still hasn’t been implemented!

Lukas_

I'd love to see this!

kaitux

Sometimes i cant believe the time we are living in. Seriously...

Its end of 2018 and Spotify - which labels itself as one of the best music apps around - doesnt have a simple bookmark feature for audiobooks. The progress of technology really strikes back here. I mean my 10+ year old iPod had this feature. 

Why the **** do we have to vote for this ANOTHER time?!? Why do we even had to vote for this in the first place?

Dear Spotify Team... This is the very very basic thing of audiobooks i need you to understand: You dont listen a whole audiobook (35+ hours) in one session. You do this in parts. Over time. Like reading a book. Fun fact: That's why its called audiobook. And guess what is helpfull during this process? Yeah. A ****ing bookmark!!

kutikula89

Yes please

phlehmann

Yes please. Please just copy the excellent podcast functionality for the audio books category.

murpsel

I just hope this comment isn't true, otherwise we've got a long way ahead ...

2000 Kudos for an idea

In the meantime my workaround: 

1. Create a new list "! Bookmarks"
  2. Listen to your book as you would normally
  3. When you want to switch to a different book or listen to music, add the current chapter to you list "! Bookmarks"
  4. Do your thing
  5. Look up the latest entry in your "! Bookmarks" list to know where to continue your book.

Not very elegant, but at least workable. I've also considered using an abandonded older phone just for listening to books, that should also work.