Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Other] Bookmark audio books and separate them from music

Please implement bookmarks for audio books and separate them from music.

There was an idea for bookmarks in audio books. Sadly it was closed, because one half of the idea (save the position in podcasts) has been implemented, even though nearly all of the 30 pages was about people wanting this for audio books.

As the moderator posted "If you'd like to see the same behaviour for audio books, we'd recommend making a new Community Idea for this.", so this is it.

There are many other audio book bookmarks requests, but they were all closed as duplicates because of the now closed idea. 

As an additional aspect to this, please ensure a separate handling / tagging of audio books and music. When alternating between listening to audio books and music the Spotify engine starts putting book chapters in your recommendation playlists, which doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

01/2023: It's astonishing that Spotify keeps steadfast in ignoring this simple and annoying issue. Getting a best of 2022 list with chapters of audio books still isn't a good idea. 

Updated on 2020-02-24

Hey folks,

We appreciate you coming to the Community, and adding your votes and comments to this idea.

We're setting this idea to 'Not Right Now', as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to implement.
If we do have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

Thanks 

Comments
babaLucas

Yes completely agree and was having the same issue here in the community.

This weekend I added a bunch of local files of audiobooks I own. I was very disappointed to have them playing and then realizing there is zero bookmarking functionality and I have to go back to iTunes and the iOS Music app.

I was very disappointed I couldn't consolidate my audio into your app.

QderBaer

Yes ! Please! 

As i regularly have to switch between Disney Soundtracks (when my daughter is in the car) and my books it's a Real pain in the a** to constantly keep track of where i left.

Make it Happen 🙈

Maxdome

@QderBaer wrote:

Yes ! Please! 

As i regularly have to switch between Disney Soundtracks (when my daughter is in the car) and my books it's a Real pain in the a** to constantly keep track of where i left.

Make it Happen 🙈

Spotify don't like account sharing. You should delete this comment.

murpsel

@Maxdome "Spotify don't like account sharing. You should delete this comment"

Switching between a playlist for your kid and the music you like to listen to has nothing to do with account sharing.

QderBaer

@murpsel

@Maxdome

Yup, just switching between playlists and for the record, my daughter is 4, so i don't share this account, i just use it 

eldavidoo

hey folks.
at least for german itunes-store (iOS only) useres (probalby available in other countries aswell..) there is a new app. it has been published a few days ago and is called "eary".

https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/eary/id1451351600?mt=8

at first view it offers everything you need to listen to AND enjoy audiobooks on spotify..

cheers!

rugata

Exactly.
I can't understand why something that has long been suggested and discussed in various forums is simply ignored by the Spotify team...
How can it be that people have to address themselves again and again to "you" in the form of the community to claim a standard function of the service we pay monthly? It's really an absurdity that nothing has changed in this respect in recent years.
Finally listen to the thousands of voices!
It's almost pathetic to mark a post as closed, even if only half of it has been implemented. Isn't that a little unpleasant for you? What should please be so difficult about it?
If it should be too much for you now afterwards to tag everything or similar, then look for another possibility. For example, allow me to create a playlist, which I can set myself as "audio book". With this setting the property of the playlist itself will be changed and now the position will be saved and the random playback (which is really ridiculous for audio books) will be switched off. This feature is also available for itunes... Why can't you do that?

murpsel

@eldavidoo wrote:

hey folks.
at least for german itunes-store (iOS only) useres (probalby available in other countries aswell..) there is a new app. it has been published a few days ago and is called "eary".

https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/eary/id1451351600?mt=8

at first view it offers everything you need to listen to AND enjoy audiobooks on spotify..

cheers! 

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think any 3rd party iOS or Android app can access audio saved for offline use. To me that's where all the different supplemental apps fall short, because there is no official support to do this. 

freda42
Yeah, Eary doesn’t offer offline content and really, we shouldn’t need another app to do this, Spotify should have that functionality!
MikeRyan

Meh.  Sad this idea was not implemented earlier. 

Hard to listen to even a 2 file audiobook in Spotify.

I expect more from you guys.