Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Auto-delete played and/or downloaded podcast episodes

This suggestion has been posted before, but it needs to be suggested again until it is implemented.

There absolutely needs to be an option to delete played episodes from the episode list. Not everyone will use this, but many will, and it's considered basic functionality on other podcast software by now. The same option should exist for downloaded episodes.

If Spotify wants to compete with established podcast software, they need to at least match the basic feature set. This is not a "bells and whistles" kind of feature.

Updated on 2021-12-09

Hey folks,

Thanks for staying with us and waiting for the updates on this one.

Happy to let you know that this suggestion is being implemented: rollout in progress 🙂

Cheers!

Comments
ItsLoriK

Do you mean you want to select an option to have plays automatically deleted from "downloads" & "your episodes" because if so I recommend you add this to your request. Otherwise, it looks like you just want to be able to choose to delete them which we can in the app. Just in case anyone wants to do the latter, to delete downloads yourself select the menu option (3 dots in a line) at the bottom of the specific play (song or podcast episode) then select "remove from this playlist". To delete from "your episodes" yourself select the menu option (3 dots in a line) at the bottom of the specific play (song or podcast episode) then select "remove from your episodes" for each one you want deleted. 

Chris244

ItsLorik, what I miss is the function you describe (delete downloaded played podcast episodes) but doing this in bulk (all at once) or even better: an option in settings to do this automatically.

askoshbetter

Yes!

I now have over 60 GB of my phone's storage taken up by podcasts on Spotify. An auto-delete feature is super necessary. 

Spotify needs podcast settings: 

- Automatically delete played episodes 

- Only keep the latest [X] episodes

- Automatically download the newest episode (on wifi) 

- Remove download should be one-click, and not require confirmation.

- Download w/o video 

- These settings should be both global, and at the podcast level. For instance, some podcasts like news podcasts I only want the newest episodes. Other podcasts I binge-listen to and maybe want 10-20 episodes downloaded, like  for a road trip for instance. 

Podcasts should be treated differently than music - because they're typically only listened to one time. 

Chris244

Excellent point! This is overdue! 

S_J_L

This is a basic functionality that needs to be supported.

Jeremy
Status changed to: New Suggestion

Updated on 2021-05-26

Hello and thanks for submitting your idea to the Idea Exchange!

We've gone ahead and marked this as a new suggestion. Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Cheers!

tcd12

+1 for a setting to automatically remove the download for played podcast episodes! I like downloading episodes while on wifi for a walk or run outside, but once I listen to it, I have no reason to keep it downloaded.

karlm724

I can't believe this functionality is not supported yet in the app. Simple free apps like Castro give this functionality, and are much easier to navigate. Spotify is buying up all these shows for podcasts, they should have big boy features to support them. Podcasts should be able to be organized and handled differently than music. 

This feature has been requested several times over the past couple years a quick google search will show. Get with the program Spotify!

Tom2e

Yep. Just switched over from Stitcher because one of my favorite podcasts will soon be Spotify only. I'm going to delete this app, and just give up on my podcast because I'm not going to spend the time to manually download 20+/- podcasts and then manually delete them every day. I work 12-15 hours a day 4 days a week, and I go through a huge number of episodes a day. 

Sorry, Spotify, but until you work out these simple things, I'm out.

Luan
Status changed to: Good Suggestion

Updated on 2021-07-15

Hey! Looks like that your idea is growing up fast and it's amazing! We are going to change its status to 'Good Suggestion' now and we hope it continues to be supported by more and more users.
Thanks again for your idea. We really appreciate it 🙂

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.